Strap mounts broken (Forerunner 45)

I have had my Forerunner 45 since the end of February, so it's less than seven months old and has had very light use. I don't wear it all day, or even every day. Today it just suddenly fell of my wrist - no bags hanging or getting caught on clothes, just fell off. I thought the strap had come undone but in fact the mounts have both snapped in half, and since they are part of the watch body, there's no fixing it. This thing cost me £160 not much more than six months ago, so honestly, I expected better....

• Be careful with the return. They were absolutely going to send me a refurbished unit without even telling me. Apparently that is standard protocol. I had to complain a lot to get a new unit. Because your unit is over a year old that might be your only option, but check and see. 

• So, update... I found the returns place on the Garmin website and reported it. I was sent details on how to return the watch and received a replacement with no argument. I'm really pleased with the service I had on this. Thanks, Garmin, you restored my faith!

• So, update... I found the returns place on the Garmin website and reported it. I was sent details on how to return the watch and received a replacement with no argument. I'm really pleased with the service I had on this. Thanks, Garmin, you restored my faith!

• Same thing just happened to my watch yesterday.  I've had the watch less than a year, with normal wear.

• Thanks for the heads up. I'll post the outcome here...

• So just an update on this... and a very worrying "heads up" to anyone considering the Forerunner 45. Just got an email from Garmin today saying that what happened to my watch doesn't qualify as something they would fix as part of the product's warranty! Wait, there's more... they also say that despite several reports from customers on similar problems, they do not see it as a manufacturing defect... and they are happy to replace my unit with a refurbished one... in exchange for 105 Euros.

I did send an email asking why, but to be honest, I expect nothing back from Garmin, ever again. I wasted 200 euros, Garmin lost a customer... the only people who will be benfiting from this are the guys at Raymarine! :D 

Garmin says this is not a manufacturing defect...

• After a very long email thread, including messages to the UK office, I got a replacement watch, just like everyone else who reported a similar problem! :) Faith in Garmin restaured. 

• I had this too. Very poor design. Garmin did replace, but I expect the same will happen with the replacement at some point.

• Gee...not sure whether to be happy that it has happened to others, or sad that Garmin hasn't admitted a clear design fault. My watch is 14 months old, and when I lightly bumped it this morning, same break, broken strap mounts. My first Garmin, an entry level green one, lasted me 5 years and was still going strong when I was talked into the Forerunner 45S. What to do? It seems like I could have a long winded debate with Garmin, and maybe result in a replacement (but unlikely as it is out of warranty), or just get the super glue out and be done with it. I expect so much more for the investment. Very disappointed.

• Same issue on my watch, only one of the lugs broken. No idea how it happened, I just noticed that the strap was a bit wonky. A very thin piece of plastic holding it all together. I've emailed garmin, my watch is just over a year old so I'm not sure how receptive they'll be. It may not be a high end garmin watch but it's a lot of money for a watch that doesn't last a couple of years.