This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Spurious HR 255 alerts during activity

When either HR zone alerts are enabled or intensitty target is set to HR on an activity, 'HR 255' alerts trigger multiple time per minute. The actual HR measurement, as shown afterwards and during the activity on the dedicated widget are sensible and well below 170.

Possibly relevant : resting HR is blank as it is not yet measured. It is not settable in Connect.

• I have the same problem , have you found a fix ?

• HI! This really annoyed me today so I went on a DEEP Google!

I found a potential solution on the Garmin devs forum, so as this is the current top result for the issue I'll link to it from here:

https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/running-multisport/f/forerunner-45-series/170095/abnormal-heart-rate-on-fr-45/917978#917978

---

The cause seems to be that your watch (and mine) thinks that all your HR zones are from 255 BPM to 255BPM.

So if you should be running in zone 2, and you're at 120 BPM, the watch compares this to your target range, finds 255 - 255 and beeps an alarm at you that your heart rate is too low!

Cheeky.

The solution suggested (in case the above link ever goes down) is go into the Garmin Connect app in Device > User Settings and change the HR Zones to be based off of Resting HR, then Sync to device and THEN set it back to % of Max HR and re sync.

For me, the App had the correct settings, but the watch did not, and doing this fixed it in the alerts. Tomorrows run will let us know if it fixed it in the Workout, but fingers crossed!

Hope this helps!

• My Garmin had the same problem yesterday. I found that just changing any number in the heart rate zone and then put it back to your original number made the app to make a save. Then synchronize the watch and the heart rate zone is back to normal.

• My Garmin had the same problem yesterday. I found that just changing any number in the heart rate zone and then put it back to your original number made the app to make a save. Then synchronize the watch and the heart rate zone is back to normal.

• Mines a forerunner 45, so maybe it works differently.  But the whole HR zones alarm was going off CONSTANTLY during a run.  Eventually i decided i only wanted to know if i was nearing my max HR, so I've resorted to using a single 'custom' zone that starts very low and ends near my max HR.  Now if the alarm goes off - which is rare - I know I'm pushing maybe too hard.  Works well for that purpose.  Downside is it doesn't remember my custom settings between runs and i have to set the custom zone every time.  (Only takes a few button presses to do though).