This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How long do you wait for GPS fix on average?

For me it takes quite a long time, up to several minutes.

• It can take up to several minutes if:

1. You start the activity in unfavourable terrain, for example surrounded by tall buildings.

2. You haven't synced your watch with your phone for some time (like more than 12 hours).

3. You start your activity in a location which is very far (hundreds of miles) from last GPS fix.

4. You start moving before getting a decent GPS fix.

• Another thing is the CPE status.  In "about" on the watch, keep pressing down, and you'll see CPE and it should be "Current".

This is used to speed up a GPS fix and expires every few days.

• Your answers are strange and interesting.

1) I start my activity next to the house, where the buildings have a maximum of 2 floors.
    2) I don't understand what syncing with the phone has to do with it. Does the watch get any information from the phone? Is it related to hardware or software?
    3) I always start my activities in the same place, the maximum difference of several dozen meters.

4) I always wait patiently.

I will add that the quality of the recorded path is acceptable. I have another Garmin watch and I catch the GPS fix after a maximum of a few seconds. How can I check which GPS version (hardware model / chip) each Garmina watch has?

• I will check it when I get home, but this is not information that the average user needs, this watch should just work as it should and I should not worry about such details.

• See my post about CPE.  It expires.

As far as the GPS version, that again is under about.

If you don't see CPE under about but see EPO instead, that device has the older chip.

• this watch should just work as it should and I should not worry about such details.

You are right, to some extent.

All the points I mentioned above are a result of various limitations of GPS technology. GPS receiver designers take measures to minimize this (like for example updating EPO or CPE from your phone), so normally a GPS fix in a modern device should take a relatively short time. If none of the points applies to you, and still you see long GPS fix times, then there might be something wrong with your device.

You might want to read this, if you're interested in some details:

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=ZCFBNlxeiM3oipPmFoYfs7

• Maybe there is something wrong with my watcj, because it has CPE, while the second watch (Instinct), which works better, has EPO.

• I don't have any problem with GPS, it connects to the satellites in 5-10 seconds. I'm using GPS+Galileo.

• I also changed to GPS + GLONASS yesterday, but nothing seems to improve.
    Does it fix the GPS in your apartment / house?

• I found a potential source of the problem. A quick GPS fix requires a precise time setting, previously I had time set a few minutes ahead. Today will test.