This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Calculating calories

I have watch without GPS(Garmin Vivomove HR) . I am wondering if i get this FR45 will be different the calculation of calories based on GPS? Or GPS is just for you ti see exactly the distance that you made. So if I am just wondering the calories I spent on running or something else should I get this FR45 or stick with Vivomove HR?

Thanks

• I think (just what I've read) that the 45 and other watches with heart rate monitors mostly use the heart rate monitor and the personal info you provide about age/weight etc to work out calories. GPS will more accurately track your distance and pace which are important if you are a runner.

• They should be substantially the same.

Both the Vivomove HR and FR45 utilize your cardiorepiratory fitness level (VO2max) to help dial in and personalize the energy expenditure/calories burned during your activities.

The relevant difference between having GPS or not having GPS on your device is whether accelerometer/step data (no GPS) or running speed (with GPS) is used as the external workload parameter in the fitness assessment analysis. The results should be substantially similar. 

If you really want to dive in into how calorie counts work on your Garmin device, you can check this out. 

https://www.firstbeat.com/en/blog/firstbeat-gets-calorie-counts-right/