This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Forerunner 45 Battery Life / Rebooting

I recently bought my girlfriend a Forerunner 45.  Upon setting it up on the first day, we downloaded a couple watch faces.  As I'm not familiar with the watch personally I don't know what type of battery life she should be getting but I assume it would be similar to my FR235 which lasts me about 7-10 days.  At this point she seems to be getting just 3-4 days on a charge with a couple 5K runs in that time too.  I'm curious if the watch faces we downloaded have affected the overall battery charge?  Additionally, when we go into the watch face menu and select new faces, the watch will shut down and reboot.  Anybody experiencing these same issues?

• Yes, same issues here. I come from a FR35, which had a 15 day battery life without activities and a bit more than 1 week if a couple of 1h runs. 

My FR45 gets 5 days at best without any activity. I could imagine that different watchfaces have a higher consumption, but I didn’t run tests yet. 

I also have crashes/the triangle error message with certain watchfaces (DataLover, Watchface X, Rugged Analog, ArcHud...), but I don’t know yet if it is a certain combination of installed watchfaces or specific ones.

What bothered me is that with every crash I lose my step count (maybe calories as well, but I don’t look at this too often), even if I have synced the watch just beforehand. A new sync then overwrites the steps already saved in Garmin Connect...

• The crash can happen with any CIQ watchface, so it's not specific to a few.  It's been reported to Garmin, and hopeful there's a fix in the next FW.

As far as battery and CIQ watches, while they may have a small impact, CIQ watchfaces are really restricted in what they can do to save battery.  Those that display lots of data typically have more of an impact than those that display less.  At most times, a CIQ watchface will only update once a minute, but things like calculating sunrise/set is more complex than just displaying step count for example.

• I only have 2 CIQ watch faces (Data Lover and Simple TDB). I just got my FR45 about 3 weeks ago and have been trying different watch faces and connecting it to the computer at times, so I never got a good battery life estimate until this past week. For the past 10 days I have only used the Simple TDB watch face, showing battery, calories and HR. The HR only updates every minute or so. Not using GPS and not wearing it for about 6 hours at night, I got just an hour less than 8 days until the battery hit 20%. I then charged it. I did have it connected to my Polar OH1 for 6 hours during that time.

• 4 days with a couple of 5k runs seem ok-ish to me given the specifications ( https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/641121#specs Smartwatch Mode: Up to 7 days, GPS mode: Up to 13 hours), I'd say 2 charges a week is to be seen as normal if you also do gps activities with the device.   

(for reference as you have a 235, the battery specs on the 235 list Smartwatch Mode: Up to 9 days, GPS mode: Up to 11 hours )

• Thanks for your insight on this.  I would definitely expect more from a newer watch and hoping to hear directly from Garmin as well.

• Thanks for sharing your experience with the watch as well.  This helps a great deal.

• Thanks for letting me know.  It's mildly re-assuring to know that others are experiencing the same issues and that they've been reported however I'd love to know if Garmin has knowledge of the decreased batter life as well.

• I bought forerunner 45s and the battery last for 9 hours on gps. I returned the watch and they gave me a new one but still last for 9 hours on gps, notifications off. 

• I am having same problem....take it off charge at 7 am and it is dead by 6 pm

• The battery life on mine is shocking. Repeated emails to Garmin have so far proved pointless.
    in standard watch mode with heartrate and steps I am lucky to get three days. If I do a 5k with GPS from a full charge then it will need charging again that evening. 

I really like the watch and the way it operates,easy to use etc. Just a shame it has such dire battery life.