This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

New Forerunner 35

So I'm kind of electronically challenged. Or we can call it old school. I don't have a smart phone.  Took my trainer out for the first time for a walk. I'm not a runner. Basically going to use it for walking, hiking, and biking. Anyway, Using my desktop to view my data trough Garmin connect. So when I connected to Garmin connect, everything seem to be there. Time, HR, Distance, Steps. Everything but an activity map. Heres my question. Do I have to have a smart phone to obtain that? A friend of mine has a firbit of some sort and she said you need a smart phone to get maps of your route. Appreciate any info {or advice} on this. Thanks so much. Oh and BTW, friends have been busting my chops to get rid of the grandpa phone forever. LOL. May look in to it when the world gets back to normal Thanks again

• The FR35 has built-in GPS, so you don't need to carry your phone on your workouts to have a track on the map. However, you do have to start an activity with GPS enabled. Press the start button, select the activity type (run, walk or bike), wait for the GPS fix, and then press start to start recording. When you're done, press the start button again to stop the activity.

• I did all that. Like I said, don't have a smart phone. Connected the FR35 to my desk top/Garmin Connect and everything came up but a map of my route

• Ah, ok. So perhaps you selected an indoor activity by mistake. Indoor activities have GPS off.

• Ya I thought of that. The only one is run indoor and I'm pretty sure I didn't select that. Try again tomorrow. Anyone else have any ideas? Thx

• You don't need a smartphone. Activities recorded with GPS (Ride or Walk) are stored on the device as a .fit file which can be copied/moved from the FR35 to your computer by using the USB cable. Your OS does not matter, Windows, Mac, Linux or whatever. .fit files can be uploaded to Strava directly for example.

You should connect to Garmin Express however at least every week to make sure GPS fix remains short as GPS corrections are sent to the device. And that can also be accomplished by the app which also gives you a lot of other extra options and results so it is worth considering to buy a smartphone...