This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How accurate is the HR and GPS

I currently have an old Vivosmart HR+ for years,  which I like except it has never been accurate on the HR ( its always high 24hrs a day) and the GPS which is also always high. The problem with the high GPS is it doesnt filter out the odd ball wrong readings. if I look at the track I can see a lot of spots where it says I took off to the left or right for a few hundred feet for a second then back to the trail- I think the connect app should filter out these obvious points but it doesnt. Sooo I am looking at the FR35,

I'm really wondering about the GPS because I believe it uses the same Connect app. Im really tired of doing a 5 mile hike ( as measred my phone app and 2 Hand held Etrex devices, which are usually all very close to each other) and the Vivismart will show  6.2 miles..

Is the35 FR accurate on both HR and GPS? if not is there another Square face that is good?

• I read your post and decided to give it a test. I used my Garmin Edge 130 cycling computer  with a chest HR monitor and also the Forerunner 35 which has a wrist based HR monitor. I went out for a 40km cycle ride this morning and the distance that the Edge 130 measured was 40.17km and the HR was recorded at an average of 151bpm. The distance on the FR35 was 40.14km and the average HR was recorded at 153bpm. That to me is close enough to each other for me to not worry about the differences. 
  • Thanks steynja for checking. I purchased a 35 and did a few test hikes and walking on streets with it. When in town and doing more or less straight lines ( roads, town blocks) it seemes pretty accurate ( meaning the distances between the Vivismart,Forerunner35, eTrex30x handheld, and mapmy walk app were all almost identical) , but once in the woods on hiking trails the distances varied greatly, for instance

---1 very short hike --

mapmy walk app= .74miles

eTrex handheld=.94

Forerunner 35=1.08

Vivosmart=1.24

----on a slightly longer hike, but not as long as I would normally hike

mapmy walk app= 2.83miles

eTrex handheld=3.24

Forerunner 35=3.52

Vivosmart=4.22

So I really dont know how accurate the 35 really is or which is most accurate, I have always believed the Handheld eTrex30x to be the most accurate since that is what it is made for, but who knows..

as far ar the HR, the 35 does seem to be much closer that the vivosmart was ( tested using a chest strap and also a finger pulsemeter/o2 sensor

• I agree that if you use either device in near perfect conditions, the results should also be quite good. My cycle ride was out on the road with no tree cover, but it was overcast. It also was a fairly straight and mostly reasonably flat route, The elevation gain was about 250 meters. Most of my rides are on this particular route, so I now have more confidence to use either devices should the need arises I must say that I was quite impressed about how well the heart rate data compared.