This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How can I improve the time it takes to find a GPS signal?

Hello All - 

My Forerunner 35 consistently takes about 5 minutes to find a GPS signal.  It is getting pretty annoying.  Especially now it is winter and I am standing about in the cold waiting!

Are there any tips out there?  I haven't downloaded any updates of late - I don't know if there are any out there?  I only use it for running - I don't wear it as a watch so only switch it on before I run.  

Otherwise I love the watch but the wait is becoming silly!

Thanks for your time, kind regards

Jamie

• If there are updates to be had, you should see them either in Garmin Express or the phone app. Do you know what version you're on now?

You can try clearing the satellite cache so it gets recreated. 

• Connect your device via USB to your computer.
    • On your computer go to the drive letter for your device
    • Make a backup of the REMOTESW folder, which contains EPO.BIN, then delete it off the device
    • Remove device from computer, restart, then let it sit outside with a clear view of the sky for about 20 minutes.
  • Syncing the watch with the mobile app (or Garmin Express) a short time before the run should help significantly.

• Brilliant thanks for your replies.  I managed to find a software update.  The mobile app wasn't showing my watch needed one but I found it buried in the watch menu.  I don't know what version I am on but hope it is up to date now.

I don't have a laptop - which is a shame so I rely fully on the mobile app so sadly I can delete the REMOTESW folder.

I'll try syncing my watch with my phone too - thanks again all.  It shame as I have been really pleased with the watch but the long wait is becoming untenable!