This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

FR35 (relatively) poor location tracking accuracy

Hi folks

I've had my FR35 since Christmas, switching from a Tomtom Runner 1 (although before that it was an FR305). I'm generally pretty happy with the Garmin, but compared to the Tomtom its location tracking doesn't seem that good.

I've attached a couple of jpegs from Stava showing my route out and back over the same stretch of road, and you can see that the 2 lines in the FR35 version are quite a bit further apart than in the Tomtom Runner version. BTW the road only has pavement on one side - I *did* run the same route in both directions.

Does this look ok to you, or do you think there's a problem with my FR35? Is it just that the Tomtom has better tracking?

Cheers
John

Tomtom:

FR35:
  • My FR35 has tracking problems, too. Sometimes it was way off the track I ran, even jumping around although there were no trees or buildings. It got worse with one of the firmware updates. Because of that problem, long time for GPS fix and HR I switched to a FR235. Meanwhile a FR735.
  • Mmm... I haven't seen mine 'jump around'; if I look at (say) a 10k run it looks smooth. It just doesn't correspond as closely to the route I actually ran as when I did it using the Tomtom.

Perhaps more significantly, the places where I get the mile marker beeps vary more, which implies the distance measurements aren't as accurate.
  • I just had a look at my 22km run from Monday, running to a small village and the same way back. Well there is a difference and sometimes I should have been running beside the way. But it is not that strange tracking my FR35 did. Not only running through houses but also running back and forth.