This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Swimming with FR35

Hi all, I know there is no swimming option with the FR35 but wondered if anyone had found a way of measuring pool laps when swimming via any other option please?
  • I hope garmin will include swimming in next watch update (if there will be one)...
  • I think the only possible option is manually by pressing the lap button (that's what I do).
    After the sync to GC it's possible to change the activity to swimming instead of cardio.
  • Which activity do you choose? I choose Cardio and my gps was showing to many because the hand is goibg back and forth...
  • I think the only possible option is manually by pressing the lap button (that's what I do).
    After the sync to GC it's possible to change the activity to swimming instead of cardio.

Using the Cardio option for swimming is frustrating. I turned off auto lap and set the lap key. I tried to press it at the end of every lap of a 25m pool, I must have missed a few times and ended up with 41 laps for 46 (1300m).

I hope garmin will include swimming in next watch update (if there will be one)...

Is there a precedent for doing that? Is the hardware in the 35 ok that a software update with a swimming profile could be added?

The Garmin site http://www.garmin.co.za/prod_detail_...?productid=649 says "Forerunner 35 features Garmin Move IQTm, which detects movement patterns such as walking, running, biking and swimming after at least 10 minutes of doing the movement, which is then tagged as a Move IQ Event. The Move IQ Event type and duration can then be viewed later on your Garmin Connect timeline³." I have not been able to locate this functionality?
  • I don't think Garmin wants to support swimming in FR35 so people will buy much more expensive models.
    I put on cardio without gps tracking (in a pool).

Couldn't find how to delete laps that were pressed accidentally and I think it's Garmin's additional strange decision.

There is an option that is not a real solution, but it's possible to press the lap key every 50 / 100 metres to avoid accidental pressing.

When Garmin will start losing clients because of their state of mind, maybe then they will give freedom to the users to choose what they want to do with their data.
  • Yeah, definitely seems like false advertising - saying it can be used for activities "like" swimming, but it doesn't actually work for swimming.

• So sad.  Your post is over 2 years old.  I just purchased the device and am very disappointed with the false advertising about how it can be used to track swimming.  At the price point, it's nearly the only feature I wanted from this device that I couldn't get in a Fitbit (which I could actually have for free, but I chose Garmin Forerunner 35 instead, based on their misinformation).  This is the first (and probably last) Garmin device I will purchase, based on this very deceptive behavior.

• Sorry, I must not have seen it, but where did Garmin advertise the FR35 to work for activities "like" swimming? 

• They did claim swimming on the forerunner 30 which is BS.

I've used it several times- Swim at at a high intensity for 1 hr and it claims I burned 180 calories. 

• I'm with you I purchased it based on the claim that it can monitor multiple physical activities which it does "POORLY"

Swim constantly and used tried using the Forerunner 30 and it says after 1 hour of high intensity swim that I burned 180 calories. This is BS.