This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Heart rate monitoring on my Forerunner 235 doesn't work on runs

Hi! 

The heart rate monitor on my Forerunner 235 works fine most of the time (during walks or at home), but it stops working properly on runs. It shows straight lines instead of the usual up-and-down during most or all of a run. It looks like it's showing a kind of average of past runs or an average from sporadic measurements. Either way, it's usually too low, which affects the "Training Effect" value.

Could the reason be sweat on my forearms that affects the heart rate reader? This morning, the readings showed up correctly at the very end of the run when I sweated the most (see the chart), so I would suspect it's not sweating. My watch software is up-to-date (v8.2). Note: The downward spike near the beginning is not an error; I have a break on every run to do pull-ups.

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks, Toni

Top Replies

All Replies

• Where do you wear the watch? Near the wristbone or a bit away? Do you wear it tight or not? Do you have tattoos or much hair?

• There were threads about it: FR235 heart rate caps at 161.

When it was new I had no problem with that, later it started to happen sometimes, it's probably not low temperature, at least not as a main factor - as other users with this problem had higher temperature, and later I also got this problem when temperature was higher. You can check my chart in that thread, it started to show proper values at the end, the same as yours, so probably also sweating is not a problem.

Maybe Heart Rate reading was changed with some update or maybe it wears off.

• I wear it on the inside of my wrist (i.e., I turn the palm of my hand towards me to read the watch), so hair are not the issue. I wear it fairly tight, it doesn't wobble around but also doesn't cut off blood flow either. I don't have any tattoos there.

• What if you wear it the normal way, not inside?

• I don't know, but I will try and see. The thing is, the reading is correct for hours when I wear it (also on the inside of my wrist) to go for walks or wear it casually without any activity.