This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

FR-235: Water underneath display glass

Hi!

I've been wearing my FR-235 for the last 4 (?) years almost 24/7. Recently, I noticed water under the display glass (see attached picture). I first noticed it after showering and it seeed to dry out afterwards (leaving marks around the rim). Not it shows up even after washing my hands and it starts to creep around the whole display.

Has anyone had the same issue? Is this the beginning of the end of this watch?

Thanks

Martin

• Try Putting the Watch Deep in Uncooked Rice to Dry Out the Water. It will not Fix the Leak but it might extend the life of the Watch  if you are prepared to stop showering and Swimming with the Watch. Rice is a  Desiccant. I used it to Dry Out My Cycle Computer  that had Moisture on the Display and It Worked in 24 Hours. The seals in the Watch can Perish and cause what you have. If the Water Gets into the Circuit Board it Will Stop Working.

• Thanks for your reply! I'll try it but - as you write - I guess it might only be a temporary fix and won't fix the underlying issue.

• There are un-official sellers for a new, double-sided adhesive between the watch body and the display. The adhesive is changeable albeit it requires very skillful hands. The display and its connecting cable are easy to crack. Then you have to accurately clean all old adhesives. But the adhesive is cheap and the watch out of warranty, there is not much to loose.

By the way, the adhesive is only few mm thick, I would hold Forerunners far away from water. New products may work ok, but adhesives will wear and age.

• As long as it works, I don't want to risk breaking it. But, of course, once it stopped working because water entered the electronics, it's too late to fix it anyway...

I thought about filling the gap between display and housing with superglue. That might seal it as well.

• Superglue is a bad thing. It is too hard when dry and won't seal any better. There are special flexible glues for sealing purpose but a new adhesive is the best. You have to disassemble the display anyway to repair the watch properly.

• Same problem I have now. Contact Gamin support to purchase a replacement. My 235 also is around the same age and out of warranty. They advised me they don't fix this problem, but will replace it for $99 dollars. 

• Did you solve the issue? I've the same problem. Water between the external glass and the lcs display. Thanks

• I also contacted Garmin support which offered a refurbished FR-235. They claimed that they've never seen this issue before.

So far, I haven't replaced the watch. It's still running although the water crept around the whole display. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it will survive a bit longer.

• I had the same issue.  Garmin Support proposed a remanufactured device for 150€. I bought a new display for 20€ (AliExpress) and a B7000 glue for 5€ (Amaz). I detached the old display with a hair dryer using a feeler gauge / guitar pick  and attached the new one with glue. I've already tried it in the shower and there is no leakage problem.