This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Accuracy of heart rate monitor

I have recently started a marathon training program using heart rate zones.  I've been surprised at some of the heart rates displayed on the watch as they didn't tally with how I felt, but I could not tell if they were correct or not.

Today I wore the watch on a treadmill with HRM in the handles.  This confirmed that the watch was seriously wrong for much of the run.  My first 15 minutes was a warm up - easy pace and little effort.  Treadmill said HR of 110-115 bpm.  Watch said 145-155!!

After about 15 minutes the watch then matched the treadmill - and how I felt!

So, the questions are:

• Is there anything I can do to ensure better accuracy of the watch
  • Is it best to buy a chest strap to pair with the watch?

Thanks in advance.

• Is there anything I can do to ensure better accuracy of the watch

Not much you can do. Try wearing the strap tighter. That's about all you can do.

Is it best to buy a chest strap to pair with the watch?

Yes. For precision measurements, like in-zone training, there is no alternative to a chest strap.

• Thanks tmk2.  I've ordered a chest strap!  It's disappointing that the wrist-based HRM is so unreliable.

• just chiming in to confirm your observation. i have been using a chest strap for months but was forced to return it to service. for a week i'm left only with the optical HR sensor directly on the watch ... all i can say is that it's seriously unreliable.

• Agree with all.  The HRM just isn't very good.  In a typical workout, it's all over the board early on, but then synches almost perfectly with my $35 CooSport strap.  Pretty sad when you consider the list price for this watch is 7 times what my cheapo CooSport cost.