This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Heart rate zones

Hi!

I have the Forerunner 235 and have a question about the heart rate zones.

I wonderded how it sets up the zones and found the following on Internet:

While many people might think that having a heart rate monitor on their wrist means accuracy is a given, a lot of the data here is assumed from details you put in at the start. Max HR is calculated by using 220 - age, and your zones estimated from there, for example.

Garmin does have the power to adjust these on real-world data. However, you'll find that running with a chest strap will improve on this data-set. So even if you train with the optical (which is pretty accurate at medium intensity), it's worth hooking up a chest strap for the odd high-intensity session.

I use this Garmin watch for indoor cycling. In above article they say that heart rate zones adjust and improve while running.

Do these zones also change and improve while I'm doing indoor cycling? Then there is fewer data available (no speed, pace and stuff).

• AFAIK the maximum HR is used to set the HR zones, that Maximum HR isn't updated over the years.  Anyone using the HR sensor and zones for anything, best case should plug in their own personal (not estimated by age) maximum HR from the end of an extreme interval session or 5km race sprint out.   Cycling and Running have different zones for most non-super serious cyclists.   I can't get my HR nearly as high biking as I can running, running uses many more muscles so spreads out fatigue a bit.   

Either way I would recommend looking up max HR test on bike... typically involves doing a set of 3-4 very hard sprints ideally super jacked on caffeine and not in the morning  :-)   Both will typically help elevate HR.

• I have a similar question as I have just started a marathon training programme using a Garmin Connect heart rate-zone plan. 

Yesterday the plan was to run for 40 mins in HR zone 2.  But I cannot run in that zone - anything above a brisk walk puts me straight in to zone 3! At the weekend I ran 12 miles.  The summary in Garmin Connect says that I was in zone 5 for 55 mins, and zone 4 for 50 mins.  I thought that zone 5 was basically maximum effort, so it seems incorrect that I could have sustained this for that long - at the same time as chatting to my running buddy!

Any ideas what is wrong?  For info I am 39, so my max HR would be 181 using the normal formula.

• Don't use that formula! For most people it doesn't fit. Measure your maxHR and then you get zones that fit better.

• Isn't it funny, trying to use HR, responds to a thread where both comments say NOT to use the generic guess formula... and then "Any ideas what is wrong?  For info I am 39, so my max HR would be 181 using the normal formula." 

LOL

• Fair point, I should have read the previous responses in more detail before posting. 

• no problem sometimes we're in a hurry, even if you adjust your settings quite a bit, you'll likely have a period where you will have a hard time keeping your heart rate low enough.  Depending on your fitness history, it could require a run-walk interval... run as slow as you can manage, then if HR consistently is in zone3, then go back to a fast walk when HR is well into the middle of zone2...slowly start jogging again.  However I would try to first see if you can just run much slower!   People who do run/walk pattern often end up running too fast during the run and then have to walk... this isn't really the goal of an easy zone2 run (it's not an interval workout of hard/recovery).   Using downhills as runs, and uphill as walking can help even the effort out as well.  Pumping arms during the walk can also help level out HR.  Push really hard on the hard workout days and super easy on the easy days.  See how slow you can run! It will pay off in the long run!   Also running easier will allow you to stay running longer, which is essential for training.