This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Not receiving notifications with app closed

Hi everyone.

My wife has used a 235 for about an year with a smartphone Huawei with Android 7.

Recently, when the phone was upgraded to Android 8, the watch stopped receiving notifications. I realized that the problem happens because the Garmin Connect app stops working when it is closed. If the app is open, the bluetooth connection is on and the watch receives the notifications. But soon as it is closed the app stops running and the bluetooth connection is off.

This was not the behaviour of the watch before. Was Android upgrade a coincidence?

I tried to switch off the battery optimizations for the app. I tried to reset the watch. I tried with others phones: an Android 9 and an Android 6. The problem still happens.

Does anyone has the same problem? Or other suggestions? How can I force the app to run in background?

Thanks!

• Update:

I did a hard reset to the watch and the app keeps running in background when it is closed! Looks much better!

But in the last 24 hours it happened again 3 times: the watch loosed connection because the app was stopped. I open the app, connection is on again, I close the app and it lasts for 5 or 6 hours.

Any help?

• Hi,

Unfortunately, I don't have a resolution, but the same is happening to me.

When I open the App, it connects and receive notifications.

Wen I had a Apple phone it paired automatically, but I now have Android Huawei Pro P20 and have noticed it doesn't retain the pairing. When it finds the watch, it states I have to open App, so not sure if this is a Android issue rather than Garmin, but I would imagine there must be plenty of issues raised with Garmin re this matter.

• One more update:

The watch was sent to Garmin. They sent it back with the information it was fixed, but it looks like they sent me a new one. But the problem remains.

In the store where I bought it, they said the problem is usual with Huawei phones, and other brands like Xiaomi (I had also tried with my Xiaomi phone). They said it works well with Samsung phones.

So, I sent an email to Huawei, hoping they can help me.

But I'm feeling the problem does not have a solution.