This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Native apps on Forerunner 235

Hello, 

I do not own a Forerunner 235 but someone from my family does. He got missing since several days now. He went for a run in the mountains and did not come back ...  After several days, I managed to connect on his Garmin connect profile and access his activity history with all the maps and stuff.

I know that by definition a GPS cannot be tracked as it only receives signal. I am pretty sure the answer will be "no" but I would like to know if their are any apps on this watch which would maybe save/send localisation just as some Google apps do on cellphone ... Are there any apps commonly used by runners on which you have to logon and that might save position or any other useful information ? This is desperate but I'v managed to have access to his google accounts (tracked his position with it but it didn't work), e-mails accounts etc and he can't be tracked on any of these platforms ... 

If there are such apps I would be able to check whether he uses them and recover the password to see when the last signal/update was. 

We know the batterie of his watch was full when he left home but his phone quickly ran out of batterie so he did not synchronize his garmin account during his "last" run ...

If there is anything else you can think of and which might help, please just let me know ...

Thanks.

Sofia 

• Strava has a paid for feature called Beacon. On the chance that he subscribed to this, and that he was running Strava on his phone, you may be able to locate a position from that.

I hope you get a happy outcome, one way or another. 

• Hello Fishyweb,

Thanks a lot for your answer. I have checked and unfortunately he did not use Strava. 

Thanks again for the help. 

regards,

Sofia

• If he did not synchronize his last run, i am afraid there is almost nothing to check :( If he has apple cellphone and you have acces to his account, you can track it (if he is in cell reception of course). I dont know if android has that feature, but maybe too. 

And this is i always use livetrack when running in wilderness alone, even i sometimes did not have cell reception.

• He has a samsung and find my phone and google maps timeline offer the possibility to track android phones. Unfortunately both need cell reception to work and his phone ran out of battery less than one hour after the begging of his run...

• And if his phone ran out of battery then how would you expect an app on the FR235 to transmit anything to the outside world?

• What I wanted to know was the last position when the phone ran out of battery. Some apps actually save your position automatically without having to synchronize them with your phone. This is the case with google apps and their timeline. Of course you can't get any information as soon as the phone runs out of battery but as long as the phone does have battery, the app saves your position. As for most apps you have to connect using and e-mail and password, you are often able to access the information from a laptop etc... We wanted to know because we have to organise the research without the help of the police ("official" research has now stopped) and we wanted to have this information to better organize the research on our side with the help of trailers. 

The timeline from Google could have helped a lot but his phone was already erased by the phone operator when they gave us his computer and google credientials back ... 

Anyway, thanks a lot for the help and sorry for the poor english !