This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Chest strap heart rate monitor recommendations

Hi. So I've had enough of the optical HR now on the 235. Trying to follow a heart rate training plan and the sensor is either telling me I'm not even in the easy zone when running flat out for several minutes or that I'm in threshold or maximum after a 10 minute cool down. It's wildly inaccurate and I'm so disappointed (bought my 235 a month ago, previously a fitbit user).

So my question is, what chest straps to recommend for the 235? Never bought or used one before so any suggestions would be great.  Also how much should I be looking to pay (UK £ please). Thanks!

• If you want to use things like VO2max recovery predictor etc, then you need one that provides HR Variability data. Garmin straps provide that, of course, but some 3rd party ones don't (my Myzone one doesn't, for example). 

If you're only interested in pure HR numbers, then I think just about any Ant+ strap will be fine. 

• I would check out one of the Scosche rhythm monitors. I use the rhythm + with my 230 and have had no issues. They recently can out with a newer version , the rhythm 24. and seems to have good reviews 

• Thank you. Any suggestions on how much I should be paying for one with heart rate variability?

• Thanks for replying. I was thinking of a chest strap as I believe they're most accurate? Have you found the arm band style noticeably better than wrist based HR? Excuse my ignorance!

• I have never used a wrist based monitor , but from all the reviews i have read and from personal use , i have nothing but great experience with it

•  i went with the FR 230 with out the wrist based monitor. becuase eveything i read was saying the Rhythm+ was just as good as a chest start when used for running.  check out this review 

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/05/scosche-antbluetooth-optical.html

• I have the new Garmin HR-Dual and have been happy, past HRM from them have worked well also.  Especially since they moved to their new strap (with grey wetting pads).  The dual will do bluetooth and ANT at the same time so it is nice if you ever want to connect it to a Spin bike or Treadmill while also recording on watch... just gives you some options.   Know plenty of folks that are happy with the Wahoo version as well.   Similar performance and little lower price i believe.

• I used to use the garmin hard chest strap with my 230. It can be annoying to use the chest strap, can cause chafing, so I ended up getting a scosche rhythm24. Will never go back to the chest strap and haven't since last October. It's not 100% accurate but way better than the wrist optical I used to use in conjunction with the chest strap. Just saying, upper arm optical hrm work much better than the wrist ones.