This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Personal Records

This weekend I beat my 10K record. The race was 10.1Km and Garmin kept my record for this distance and not the 10k. More 29seg. Does this make any sense? Does it work like this?
  • Yes, it works like this. And it makes sense. It is quite normal that on a 10k certified route your device will measure a distance slightly longer than 10k, due to both GPS inaccuracy and not running the optimal race line. Your time measured by official timing is that of this slightly longer distance, and it makes sense that your PR should match the official timing, even if distance indicated on your garmin is not exactly 10k.
  • This doesn´t make sense. It was me that stopped the watch a little bit after the 10k. A 10K personal record is a 10K personal record. Not a 10.1K. Its a PR measured by my watch and my watch did measured 10K and them more 100m. Strava for example gave me the right time for the 10K.
  • I'm not telling you to like it. I'm telling you how it works. For me it makes sense. During an official race I want my PR to match the official timing, not the imperfect timing of my garmin watch.
  • So how can you guarantee that? 100m it's enough to match with the official time? or it's 97meters?

By the way… this was the first time that my watch did this.

And if I had touch the stop button exactly at 10K?
  • So how can you guarantee that? 100m it's enough to match with the official time? or it's 97meters?

I don't know. There is a small margin to account for potential distance inaccuracy, but I don't know the exact amount. But I believe it is relative to the distance, i.e. a margin for a marathon may be larger than for a 10k race.

And if I had touch the stop button exactly at 10K?

Well, then this would be the 10k PR.

Before we delve to deep into philosophical discussion on how it should work, I would like to make clear, that I am fully aware that this solution might not work perfectly in many circumstances. Simply put, garmin assumes, that if the measured distance is very close to a PR distance (10k in your case), then your intention was to run 10k, and the additional distance is a result of measurement inaccuracy or imperfect racing line, regardless of whether this is indeed the case or not. As an example, please note, that the official world record for marathon was a result of a run that was certainly slightly longer than the official 42.195 km, because the guy who did it, did not run a perfect line. If he were using a garmin watch, then at the end of the race the watch would indicate a distance slightly longer than 42.195. Certainly in this case it is better that garmin sets the PR at race end and not at 42.195, since that way it would match the officially measured world record.
  • Thanks. I more or less understood it now.
  • To clarify things here, what happened shouldn't have happened, you should have registered a PR on your Garmin account. You have went to PR page and it doesn't ask for you to accept? Sometimes its easy to miss on the watch display.

Garmin registers PR's for any best effort within a run... it has nothing to do with the distance you ran, as long as it was the PR distance or further. so if you run a fast mile at the end of a 5km race... and that 1mile is faster than your PR, it will count as a PR. Also you can record multiple PR's in one activity. For example I have set a PR for the Half in the second half of a PR Marathon. Or maximum elevation gain on a Bike Ride during my Longest Ride.

So to rectify the problem you can go to your online account on the web and go to activity and set the activity as a PR from the upper right Gear Wheel Settings menu. Then go to the PR page and click the Time of the PR I would update that to your Official 10km race result.

You could research here various other fixes for the watch to ensure it works in the future - but I have had similar issues in Garmin or Strava where a clear PR was done, but didn't get picked up. In Strava it ensures GPS data is "good" to name something a best effort. Could be that during your race the start/end was wonky causing Garmin to ignore run... or something? Or just a Sync issue where watch didn't have PR's saved?

It seemed like a common issue a year or two back with people on the forum - but seems like it resolved itself, maybe a Firmware or Website update took care of it. Assigning them manually for race events is easy enough... its the mid-run PR's during some hard intervals or something that are a bit trickier to nail down exact time/distance.
  • NickMN I guess you missed the point. The thing is that the 10k PR has been assigned the time from a 10.1k run, and not from the fastest 10k within that run. This is what happens when the final activity distance is very close (but not exact) to a PR distance. Things are different when the final distance is much longer than a PR distance.

So to rectify the problem you can go to your online account on the web and go to activity and set the activity as a PR from the upper right Gear Wheel Settings menu. Then go to the PR page and click the Time of the PR I would update that to your Official 10km race result.

But this will change nothing! The whole point is that fadias1904 got his 10k PR time at the 10.1k mark (something he did not expect), and that would match the official timing, but not the fastest 10k within that 10.1k run. You can't fix it if this is not what you want, because there is no way in Garmin Connect to find the fastest 10k time in an activity if it has not been detected automatically.
  • Gotcha - but it wasn't assigned as a PR - so I was letting him know if he wanted to change it to what he feels is a PR...(ignoring the Race PR vs Distance PR differences, bad tangents, dodging, GPS error...etc) Tips to fix.

Personally I am not sure I have seen what you describe on PR's - but I could be wrong. Typically my PR's come from within a longer workout so not within a 1-10% of 'PR distance' or... it was part of a race and I update PR to time to official race time. However now that I think about it...that does line up with my recent Boston race that due to bad tangents/waterstops/etc... was .15mi over a marathon... if it would have been shorter, I hit 26.2mi at a PR time (well short of the finish line however...)... it did NOT record it as a PR. Which was good

From my understanding this activity didn't register as a Garmin PR for him - even re-reading its a bit unclear. Was his race/activity time 29sec longer than Garmin PR... or faster? the .1km extra distance took 33sec... oh well. was just laying out some adjustment options and my experience with the detection of PRs.