This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Vo2 Max Dropping.

Noticed my VO2 Max has decreased although my running time has increased as well as the intensity but my pace has been mostly lv 2. Originally, in October my Vo2 Max was 39 now it’s 34. My training intensities are usually around 3.3-4.0. With exceptions of walking which I will do twice a week as recovery.

What factors cause a drop in VO2 max?
  • A drop in body weight, higher heart rate at the same pace, or slow pace same heart rate, incorrect MaxHR. It is not calculated for Trail Runs.
  • Could be many factors. Have you contacted Firstbeat? Their website has several detailed pages about the stats their software provides for Gamin. Contact them via social media too if you’ve any questions.

How has your weekly volume changed since then? Running less? I notice I need to do one longer run, about 18km plus(11m approx) with some faster running at half marathon pace, around 20-40 mins. If I don’t do that regularly my score will start to go down.

Basically it’s going down as you’re not challenging yourself, workouts too easy. Try and race more often too 5K to half marathon. You’ll see a fitness increase if you run them all out and probably see your score move up.

• Like Trippy mentioned there are quite a few things that can make your score go up or down. If you live in a cold climate - running in the winter often will mess up your score as you will be running slower, but heart rate will stay up a bit higher because of 3-6# of winter gear, slippy footing, running in snow, strong headwind. etc. I commonly get very fit over the winter training for spring marathons... but my vo2 will drop quite a bit. If conditions are good, a strong 15-25min tempo run is a great way to get a new updated/accurate score. Longer runs and short easy runs don't help calculate vo2max very well.

Similarly if you overdress in normal temperatures your HR will be 5-10bpm higher... making it appear that you lost fitness. Should workout over time.

• A drop in body weight

A drop in body weight will increase VO2max when measured as ml/min/kg.
  • I've been running regular 5/6 miles with a vo2 of 45 then did a 10 mile trail run and my vo2 dropped to 42 so i'am glad to see this post Thumbsup tone1

• Thanks for the heads up on the Firstbeat site, lots of information there. 

• I worry if your intensity scores are always that high. Overtraining maybe? Make room for easy runs that score below 3 also