This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Not charging?

My Forerunner 230 has stopped charging. I plugged it in last night with 32% battery left but this morning it just shows the battery symbol on the screen, and won't either switch on or do anything else. If I unplug the charger the screen fades as it switches itself off but it doesn't seem to be charging to actually reset or do anything else. Any ideas what I can do about this?
It had a difficulty charging a few months ago but seemed to charge ok after a reset but now I can't even reset it.
  • Yep my 235 has randomly stopped charging.

No issues or signs of problems. Don’t know if it is the watch, the connection or the usb cable end.

• More than likely your watch, do all the cleans and try charging with laptop or a different charger adaptor. However, I doubt those are the problems as I'm sure you checked everything.

If your device is under a year or a little over you can try claim a warranty replacement which will be a refurbished device.

• I was hoping to find a solution. I've definitely worn my watch for well over 3 years. I've gone through 2 wrist bands. I wear it 24/7, except when I need to charge overnight, usually once a week. All of a sudden, it started to discharge (battery percentage went down when connected). It went from 18% to 1% and now I can't even do a soft reboot when connected to the charging cable. I cleaned the watch and the cable with Isopropyl Alcohol, and when I press the power and lap buttons, the Garmin logo appears for a split second and disappears. I really like this model, just wish there was a way to replace the battery, instead of having to order a brand new watch. So wasteful. 

• Hi everyone. I faced the same issue. My Garnin Forerunner 235 is now 4 years+ old. Suddenly in the last two days the charging became erratic, I cleaned both the charging points in the watch and the cable with soft cloth and alcohol and bingo, everything seems ok. Maybe it is a regular maintenance which is good to do to prevent this issue. Let me see how long this works, fingers crossed. 

• Brilliant, thanks for that Punch tone1

• This is an old post I stumbled upon and providing my experience in the event someone finds themselves struggling with Garmin watch the link below could help.

I almost tossed my Garmin 235 after reading the some online comments that the battery has a limit to charge and discharge cycles. 

I charged my watch for over two hours and held the button for a good 15-20 seconds and it cleared up and it had 12% charge. It has been working well for two weeks now. Initially this was the first time that I had left the battery drain out completely. Below is the site that was helpful to me and sharing in this out dated post in hopes it could help someone not toss their watch out prematurely. I charge mine 2 times per week at a minimum as it goes low due to running and cycling 5-6 days of the week.

Cheers!

notcharging.com/.../