This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Why can't I see km splits?

Hi All,

Recently switched over to Garmin 235 from TomTom and I'm really impressed for the most part. But I'm curious why I can't see my km splits when I just go out for a run. I have "auto lap" switched off because a lot of my workout are intervals etc that I program in through Garmin Connect.

Yesterday I went for a 10k easy, I obviously hit the "run" button at the start and then again at the end and when I view the run in Garmin Connect and go to "splits" all I get is a 10k split, no individual km splits. Surely I don't have to switch "auto lap" on and off even time I go out for a run?

Thanks for any help. Cheers.
  • You answered your own question. If you have auto-lap turned off it will not create lap splits.
  • You answered your own question. If you have auto-lap turned off it will not create lap splits.

Thanks for your reply but I haven't really answered my own question. I don't want to create "lap splits" as such, I just want to see the km splits for this type of run... the km being the basic unit of measurement.

Are you saying that I have to to "auto lap" on or off every time I go for a run depending on there type of run I am doing?

Thanks.

• If you want an activity record in Garmin Connect to be presented for review partitioned into splits (or laps) - which could be of equal distance, or equal duration, or different intensity, or be completely arbitrary - then the split markers need to be written into the FIT file before uploading to (or importing into) Garmin Connect. Unless you want to intercept the upload process and manually manipulate the FIT file retrieved from the Garmin wearable device that recorded the activity, you must get the device to mark the splits while the activity is in progress. This could be done by manual presses of the Lap button, or Auto Lap, or step transition in custom workouts.

What you cannot do is upload an activity record with no splits into Garmin Connect, then insert splits or use partitioning schemes on the data after the fact, to get summary statistics at a more granular level of analysis.
  • In short, yes. For higher end watches like the 735, 935, and Fenix series you simply create another instance of the Run activity profile and name it "intervals" or "workout" and turn auto-lap off for it. If you want to have 1k splits in the file after a normal non-workout run, but not for workouts then you will have to turn auto-lap on or off depending on what you have planned.

The default behavior on older Garmin devices was that auto-lap only affected non-workout runs and wasn't available on workouts at all. When they changed that behavior a generation of watches ago a lot of people who like it the old way, which seems to be the way want it to, weren't too happy about the change. While they added to the workout feature by giving it the ability to do auto-laps they did cause users some heartburn by changing the default behavior.

For me personally I use 1 mile auto-lap and since I do a a lot of workouts where the interval steps are longer than a mile I like to have my splits given to me while I'm running and seeing them in data afterward so the change was good for me.

Sorry if my initial response came off as snarky as it wasn't meant to be.
  • Keep in mind that the autolap on/off feature is very easily changed from the Activity Settings Menu on the watch prior to starting... just a couple button clicks.

Also if you are doing intervals of 1km or less... autolap setting will have no effect on a saved Training/'Workout'

For instance - I have my autolap set for 1mile.... I mainly do 1km intervals with .3mi recovery... (1mile warmup) so my autolap doesn't effect any of my 'workout' splits. Upcoming i will be doing 1mile intervals... again no issue.
  • HI All,

Not sure if this is the correct topic / place for my question.
    As I understand the info above, I need to have autolap set to "on" in order for me to have my run split in laps of 1 km and see the stats per km.
    I did so for my last run, but the buzzing watch (Fenix 5) every km is driving me mad.
    Hence I prefer to have the autolap set to off.

Question is however, How is it possible that in Garmin Connect I cannot see my run, split into 1 km pieces, but in Strava I can?
    That leads me to conclude that the data should be available and it should be able to present the split in my runs without the buzzing.

An explenation would be much appriciated!

Thanks,
    Jeroen Voogd
  • JVoogd yes you are correct in theory but unfortunately Garmin choose not to present the data that way - although there are arguments for and against. I have 1 mile autolap on. For my run on Saturday I had a workout of 1 mile warmup 2 x 1 mile Theshold .25 Mile flat out warmdown to lap button press. In Garmin that gave me 6 splits on a run of 4.6 miles

Separate splits for each of first three miles
    Split for the fast quarter mile
    Split for first mile warmdown
    Split for remaining .35 Mile warmdown

Strava shows 5 splits for the same run so I lose the separation of my Flat out quarter

I gather from the earlier poster that if I have a workout split that is greater than 1 Mile (or 1K) in your case then the Autolap will subdivide that split - I can see that might not be desirable - but at present my workout splits are never greater than a mile.

Hope this clarifies
  • Strava handles splits (based on your choice of KM or Miles) different....then 'laps' which is based on your workout or 'lap' button press settings. So in the regular view it will do KM or Mile splits.... if you go to the LAP view on the webpage... it will show you your custom workout splits or garmin splits.

You might want to try Settings/System/Sound/ ... and turn off the vibration and tone settings.... might(?) stop the madness.
  • How is it possible that in Garmin Connect I cannot see my run, split into 1 km pieces, but in Strava I can?

Because Garmin Connect does not post-process the data in the uploaded activity record and perform analytics on it.

That leads me to conclude that the data should be available and it should be able to present the split in my runs without the buzzing.

The raw data is there. If the lap markers and summary data are not in the FIT file, then in order to see a timed activity split into per-km splits, post-processing is required.

Strava performs post-processing on the data to present information the user wants. This additional information produced by Strava is not then sent back to Garmin Connect to be presented.
  • Oops - yes sorry - don't use Strava much - had forgotten you got the lap splits also. As ASmugDill says the data is there just Garmin choose not to process and present it.

I guess all you can do is switch off the buzzing altogether and lobby Garmin for a change. Unfortunately platforms like Strava are likely always to have features that Garmin connect or other manufacturer equivalents don't have