This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

My Forerunner 235 keeps starting runs out of nowhere/randomly!

Hey guys, just got my Forerunner and am loving it so far. However, on a handful of occasion whens I wasn't moving (didn't hit the button by mistake, I'm 99% sure) my watch beeps, I look down and a run has initiated. Any idea what could be causing this? DO I have a faulty watch? Maybe Garmin Connect on my phone is somehow initiating it?? Thanks for any help!
  • Neither the Garmin Connect Mobile apps nor the cloud-based Garmin Connect service can initiate a timed activity on your watch.

Perhaps you should lock the controls (i.e. buttons only, on the FR235) on your device when you're not intending on using it, and if it still starts timed activities "out of nowhere", then perhaps there's a real issue to be diagnosed and resolved.
  • I miss the double 'start' press to unlock the watch as we did on the 220.
    I never had a false start on the 220 but have had several in the 4 days i have had the 235.
    There is no way you could do floor work or pushups with a 235 on the left wrist.
    Anyone have an idea why they changed the need to push the start button twice ?
  • I am starting to have this very issue as well. I am starting to try and be scientific about it to figure out what is causing it.
    • At first I thought it was my wrist starting it.. definitely not.. I cant recreate it in any way. (if i'm doing burpees or something it will occasionally hit a button like you would expect..)
    • I thought it might be long sleeves catching on it or creating a static discharge.. literally just happened while typing this in short sleeves..
    • I am hesitant to believe static may be it as we have had rain here lately and its just not a static environment right now..
    The issue will take me all the way to ready to run but not past it (ie starting/pausing) I would suspect that a stuck button would do that every once in a while.. It is getting pretty frustrating.
  • My 235's ON button is TOO SENSITIVE, too. I don't use it except for runs. It stays in my desk drawer. Just simply by opening, closing the drawer gently my 235 apparently bumped against something else, came on and was down to 1% battery when I noticed it a few days later. It happens when I put it in my backpack for travel to events, etc. GARMIN: you need to modify the turn-on software for a double-bump, a longer hold on the button, SOMETHING! Nothing is worse than getting to an event and finding out the device I had fully charged is now down to 20% due to this. Even with modifying my storage, behavior, etc., this damn thing turns on WAY too easily
  • Locking and Unlocking the Device Keys

You can lock the device keys to avoid accidental key presses during an activity or in watch mode.

1. Hold .
    2. Select Lock Device.
    3. Hold  to unlock the device keys.
  • I experience the same issue randomly with my vivoactive .  The tracker appears to be connected to someone else possible a far as the distance is significant and the pace is way faster than anything I’ve ever done. I know it’s nothing I have done to start it

can a hacker be doing this?