This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Tracking fitness workouts

Hey, i bought Garmin Forerunner 235 last week and it's nice apart from one thing. When i want to track crossfit workout or interval training it seems my kalories are way too low. I'm using "Other" profile to track it. But after 40 min or intensive interval workout calorie count was around 200 kcals and 1 hour of crossfit around 230 kcals. My activity profile is set to 7 (trying to run or workout 5-6 per week). So my question is. Is there any way to set it up so kcals are little closer to truth? I had Fibit Charge2 before and it tracked interval workout 400kcals+.
It is possible to set up profile so i just start it and it'll track calories per session without actualy need to make some training plan in Garmin connect or something like that?

thx for help
  • calorie calculations based on HR alone - can be all over the place. For instance... (3 runners...same speed...same weight/size/body-comp)

Average runner...runs a 9minute mile.... burns roughly 100 calories (HRM avg 140HR)
    Couch Tater ... 'races' a 9minute mile.....burns roughly 100 (105) calories (HRM avg 180HR) (...however would likely have significant 'after burn' during recovery)
    Strong Runner..... jogs a 9minute mile....burns roughly 95 calories (HRM avg 120HR) (...likely no afterburn)

Very roughly....Work done provides the calorie amount.... effort level for the individual sets the % of calories are using Fat vs Glycogen(sugar).

Likely the more experienced runner will be more efficient ... slightly reducing work output to cover the distance/work.

So calories based strictly off of HR.... VERY TOUGH if the watch doesn't know what you are doing. At least thats how I have figured it....with my limited research on it.
  • My Fitness, one off my app can, calculate the calories burn with 3 different Methods

-The default Garmin calculation (with HR)

-The Journal of Sports Sciences formula, depending on gender, age, weight, time of activity and average heart rate,

-The method MET Metabolic Equivalent of Task, you can find some values here (MET doesn t use HR):