This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Changing Heart Rate zone for an existing workout.

I just received my Forerunner 230 and set it up. It worked really well.

After finished running, I looked at the app and the web app, to understand how everything works. I realized that the heart rate zone was incorrect. I fixed it by changing the heart rate calculation to use hear rate reserve instead of max heart rate.

After changing, and syncing, the record for the first run still shows heart rate zone based on max heart rate. I do not see how to update it to use resting heart rate. Is it possible to update the existing exercise to use a different heart rate zone?

Top Replies

All Replies

• Is it possible to update the existing exercise to use a different heart rate zone?
    No, at least not trivially. An activity record captures what was known to the recording device at the time. People's maximum heart rates and resting heart rates – and consequentially their heart rate zones – change over time. The heart rate zones that have been in play at the time an activity took place forms a part of the record, and it would make no sense to apply subsequent changes to heart rate zones retrospectively to past (or ‘historical’) activity records and recalculate time in HR zones information for them.

Yes, there is an assumption that the user has set up his/her recording device correctly prior to starting, completing and then saving an activity, and that there is no need to fix up the user's error after the fact.
  • I know this is old but I actually found the answer to this on my own after seeing this.  The simple way to do this is to fix your heart rate zones, download the workouts in question from Garmin Connect, delete them from Garmin Connect, and then reupload them.  For me that was the quickest way.  I'm sure you can also grab the files off of the watch but that means connecting to USB, etc.  But the same idea applies.  There's nothing in the TCX file that stores zones so it will go by whatever zones you have set...

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 3 years ago in reply to FrankZen

nice and quick workaround

• updates zones on Garmin platform
    • export as TCX,delete and import as TCX

mind you you lose all special metrics

another path is change the fit file zones with help of Fit File Repair Tool (license needed)

happy & safe sporting

• This is awesome.  Thanks!  By specialty metrics do you mean the running dynamics from the POD?  I happened to not be wearing it on this run so I hadn't noticed.

• Yeah, except Garmin constantly ignores the automatic MAX HR setting being off and adjusts all the HR zones. Very frustrating.