This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Cadence alert?

I'd like an alert when I fall below a set cadence, always.

The only way I see to do it is as the intensity target of a workout. But if I do that, I can't also make pace an intensity target.

Maybe I'm missing something obvious? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • In the Run profile, look in Activity Settings, Alerts

Can you add a cadence one there? I can on my 735 but don't have a 235 to hand right now to check if it also has it.
  • In the Run profile, look in Activity Settings, Alerts

Can you add a cadence one there? I can on my 735 but don't have a 235 to hand right now to check if it also has it.

Hmmm, just checked and doesn't seem like it.
  • You'd think so, but nope - not there

That's logically where it would be, but no such luck. 😭
  • You can't add a cadance alert on the activity settings alerts and even if you can all the activity settings alerts are dismissed when you're in workout mode.
  • And I always use workout mode, with time or pace intensity targets.

Guess I'm out of luck?
  • Ah I presume cadence alerts are only on the higher models.

Yeah it looks like you can only have one "intensity target" in a workout step.

The workaround is to set one and just "look" at the other - the choice probably dependent on the main purpose of the session.
    Setup a screen with current pace, lap pace and cadence and you will have all you want to monitor most.

From my experience cadence does not change a great deal anyway - especially in a fairly short workout step.

Not entirely sure if the 235 supports cadence intensity targets though.
  • The 235 does support cadence intensity targets, but I pretty much always want a pace target - even if it's a long run. Just so I don't get carried away.

I'm hoping to avoid having to look at the watch as much as possible, especially in the long run situation. My cadence tends to drop considerably in those last few miles. I find if I can hold onto the cadence, the rest of my form follows.
  • I'm hoping to avoid having to look at the watch as much as possible,
    Then having both pace and cadence alerts (if that was possible) would simply either confuse or force you to look at the watch's display more often, since you cannot distinguish by either the beeping or the vibrations which threshold is being breached.

If I recall correctly, the alerts are repeated every fifteen seconds on the Forerunner‑235, so if you were below target for both pace and cadence the watch would be beeping and buzzing eight times a minute – and it would be highly unlikely in Garmin's implementation that both conditions will be summed up in one alert (with all the appropriate details on the screen) to minimise the number of distractions.

Therefore it makes perfect sense that you can only choose one metric for the watch to monitor against thresholds on your behalf and alert you while you run.
  • I see your point. Ideally there'd be different tones for different alerts. Even then, the nagging could easily get out of hand!
  • Yarf

If you use the field of data named "yet another field of data" in the 235 you can configure cadence alerts