This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Calories burned DRASTICALLY wrong! (92% out)

I have seen other people mentioning that their calories burnt were out by a couple of 100 or so and the general consensus is that this is down to activity level setting not being quite right.

However mine is out by about 92% by my calculation. I just went out running for 90 minutes averaging 70% of my max heart rate and the total calories burned it reckons at the end is 113!?!? Strava reckons I burnt 1352

What is weird is that yesterday I was whilst helping by Dad out with building his house my active calories for the day was around 1300. The main differences yesterday were I didn't record an activity and today during my run I was wearing a chest heart rate strap.

The other day I received a firmware update (I have only had the watch since Wednesday) so I was hoping I just had an old buggy version before but this is still not working properly.
  • Take a look at the Hostory page for your run.

You may find that your run was recorded correctly. One complaint I have about my new 235 is the displayed text is just too small and I now have to remember to take my reading glasses with me when working out. As someone now a bit visually challenged due to aging I have to suggest that you may have misread your results.

BTW, my experience is that you are 100% correct about the range of calories consumed by your run. However because the 235 uses your individual VO2 Max as a contributing factor in determining the calories consumed there will be individual variations due to differing levels of fitness. As an example a long distance runner in exceptional fitness may maintain a heart rate of only something like 100 bpm while a more average runner may be hitting 140 bpm. Because of this that extremely fit runner can actually consume significantly fewer calories per mile than a less fit runner. So, some variation can be expected but a 10 to 1 difference is either an error in your display, an error in reading the display, or perhaps forgetting to hit the start button until your run was nearly finished.

BTW, I could see that happening if you paused for a traffic light and hit the start button when the light changed because you forgot about that Auto Start feature. One recurring complaint about getting older are all the Ca'ts. Cant See Stuff (known as CRS), Cant Remember Stuff (CRS), Cant Hear Stuff (CHS), and a whole host of things that were once easy that are now not so easy.
  • It's not just the display on the watch when it syncs it shows the same value, and I have definitely recorded the entire run as the time and route are correct.

I'm a 25 year old software developer so I don't think my sight or my operation of the device are the issue here. Do garmin actually monitor these threads or am I better off contacting their support directly if this is a bug?
  • Also my training effect is always 1 (even on hill repeats and hard intervals) and my recovery time has been 0 hours on these efforts as well
  • Hmm.. it's gotta be a settings issue with your device, or a faulty device altogether.

If you log into Garmin Connect, what are your device setting for Activity Class and Heart Rate Zones, and what's your VO2 max on your watch?
    Also, is your heart rate monitor working correctly when you run?

(Software Engineer here too, by the way. High five)
  • Yes can you post some GC links here so we can examine more?

Are you using optical HR from the watch or an external HR strap?
  • It happends sometimes

Hi

This happens to me sometimes as well, I'll immediately detect the watch is miscalculating the calories. The workout itself is registered properly, as was my HR, still the calories were badly calculated, to me it a BUG! Usually if i detect this i just discard that training recording and start a new one, and it tends to be ok. It is a pain thought.

Hope you have better luck then I did contacting garmin, their solution was do a hard reset......

Let us know if you figure something out.
  • Did you ever solve this? Im having the same problem with my FR 230. I'll do a 10 km run and the calories will say something ridiculous like 48.

I have set up my VO2 max, HR zones etc. I am using a connected Rhythm+ 24 HR monitor. I'm sure this has something to do with it since calorie counts are much higher (and more reasonable) when there's no HR tacking at all. 

• i am experiencing the same issues with Garmin calculating the calories (735XT). How is this possible if every other factor in the calculation is right? (Heartrate, time, distance, age, gender) 140 for a 7 kilometers run (normal would be at 500+), or 270 own a 11 kilometer run (normal would be at 1000+). It happens regularly but most of the it will be correct (I guess:-)