This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Devices losing connection to the broadcast HR of the FR235 when paused

I am having issues with the broadcast HR from a FR235 disconnecting from my Edge 520 and PowerPod power meter anytime I pause a ride. This is repeatable 100%. The Edge 520 and the PowerPod will never reacquire the connection unless the ride is ended and a new ride is started. It actually shows disconnected.

How would the FR235 even know the Edge 520 is paused?

2 different devices lose their connection from the FR235 broadcast HR when the main display device is paused. Can't be a coincidence since it is repeatable....

What gives????
  • How would the FR235 even know the Edge 520 is paused?
    It doesn't. As far as I'm aware, when you put the FR235 in Broadcast Heart Rate mode, it will (continue to) do so irrespective of whether any device is ‘listening’ – the very point of broadcasting as opposed to point-to-point casting.

How did you conclude that it's the FR235 that failed to do its part, as opposed to the Edge‑520 (and the PowerPod, whatever that is) dropping the connection when an activity is paused and not reestablishing it when the activity is resumed? What happens when you use an ANT+ chest strap HR monitor with your Edge‑520?

I just tried it on my Samsung Galaxy Tab‑S – which is ANT+ enabled – running the Wahoo Fitness app, and when I paused a tracked cycling activity it continued to read my heart rate from my FR235 (operating in Broadcast Heart Rate mode).
  • Also what exactly do you mean by paused? Do you mean stopping the timer? Not sure how an Edge 520 works but if it is like a Forerunner it will go into low power mode after 5 mins (or 25 if set to extended). As such I would kind of expect all connections to be dropped as the device is then effectively asleep.

I would also be interested to know if it is any different with a physical HR strap?
  • It doesn't. As far as I'm aware, when you put the FR235 in Broadcast Heart Rate mode, it will (continue to) do so irrespective of whether any device is ‘listening’ – the very point of broadcasting as opposed to point-to-point casting.

How did you conclude that it's the FR235 that failed to do its part, as opposed to the Edge‑520 (and the PowerPod, whatever that is) dropping the connection when an activity is paused and not reestablishing it when the activity is resumed? What happens when you use an ANT+ chest strap HR monitor with your Edge‑520?

I just tried it on my Samsung Galaxy Tab‑S – which is ANT+ enabled – running the Wahoo Fitness app, and when I paused a tracked cycling activity it continued to read my heart rate from my FR235 (operating in Broadcast Heart Rate mode).

Thats what I thought as well but there must be something going on for two separate ANT+ receivers to lose the signal from the FR235 HR broadcast mode at exactly the same time after the Edge 520 ride is paused.

The PowerPod is a non direct force power meter that is capable of connecting to ANT+ sensors. HR is one of the variables it can use. The FR235 in HR rebroadcast mode emulates a ANT+ HR sensor and other than this issue, it works great for this purpose. The PowerPod only listens to the HRM sensor.

When I use an ANT+ chest strap HR monitor, it works fine, this issue does not exist.

Also what exactly do you mean by paused? Do you mean stopping the timer? Not sure how an Edge 520 works but if it is like a Forerunner it will go into low power mode after 5 mins (or 25 if set to extended). As such I would kind of expect all connections to be dropped as the device is then effectively asleep.

I would also be interested to know if it is any different with a physical HR strap?

Yes, stopping the timer not ending the ride. Same as pausing a run on the FR235 without ending the activity. It was not timing out and going into low power mode. The pause was only about a minute while I took a drink. The physical HR strap works fine and does not have this issue.

This is repeatable. I have seen the issue more than once....

I have owned and used the FR10, FR220, FR235, Edge 520, Garmin VivoActive and the Fitbit Surge so I am pretty familiar with the way this stuff works.... This appears to be a bug to me, hard to tell what is causing it but it does appear that somehow the Edge 520 being paused triggers this event to happen.

I was running firmware 4.70 and just updated it to 5.07 last night. Will see if that helps or hurts....
  • More weirdness happened last ride after going to 5.07.

Not sure what is going on but based on what happened last night, ignore all the above as something else is going on...
  • More weirdness happened last ride after going to 5.07.

Not sure what is going on but based on what happened last night, ignore all the above as something else is going on...

Did you solved that bug? Same situation here, FR235/Edge 520.
  • Anybody have a solution yet? Mine drops out every couple of minutes and the only way to get it back is to stop and then restart the HR broadcast on my 235.

• Same here! Have you found out why this was happening?

• I am searching for this answer as well. As the OP said, mine is 100% repeatable. I have a Vivoactive 3 and edge 130 plus. I connect heart rate monitor to 130 by broadcast. It connects perfectly and works for about 3 minutes, then the 130 plus will drop connectivity even though the watch still shows broadcasting. I have to manually stop broadcasting and then rebroadcast. This time when it connects it never drops.

• It is clearly a bug reported by many users and repeatable. It is disappointing Garmin do not pay any attention.