This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sudden battery drain (less then a day with no activity at all)

Has anyone met a but that leads to extremely fast battery drain while not using the watch ?

I got the watch on 28th of Dec, updated it to 3.30, paired with smartphone and fully charged.
Then left in the box till First of january, not using it at all. When I took it from the box - it was not turning on because of low battery, literally 0% charge.

I charged it and started to use - it worked fine.
I charged it on 6th and used it till 10th (6 full days) including 4 hours of activity tracking (with glonass, 1-sec recording and backlight always on while running at -20 o) - so the battery is alive

Yesterday I charged it again to 100% and left on the table.
It was totally discharged today - in less then 24hrs with no activity happening
So it is second time it happened.

What might be the reason?

I have BT paired - may it be looking for a BT connection and draining the battery (phone was not in range)?
I also have activity and sleep tracking enabled.

If anyone met this problem - please share the solution.

PS: Or is it a charging/ charge reporting issue?
Last charge took not much time (haven't timed it, but I'd say around 1 hour or so), while now it is charging for around 1.5 hours and still has 66% only.
Thank you!
  • I was thinking that it might be looking for BT connection (smartphone) issue (since the watch was not in a range for a long time).
    No - that's not it.

Now I think that it might be charging/ phisical issue - since charging before the drait took less time then I expected (an hour or so)
  • Did you turn off? In my garmin 230 battery drain if I turn off completely in one or two days. But if I let the garmin with the clock, then it last very much... extrange.
  • Did you turn off? In my garmin 230 battery drain if I turn off completely in one or two days. But if I let the garmin with the clock, then it last very much... extrange.

First time - yes, it was off.
    Second time - no, I left it on

Will try turning it off today evening.
  • I noticed the battery seems to drain even 5% in one 8 hour night if the phone is disconnected. Since turning BT off at night on the Forerunner I get maybe 1% drain.
  • I noticed the battery seems to drain even 5% in one 8 hour night if the phone is disconnected. Since turning BT off at night on the Forerunner I get maybe 1% drain.

5% is sort of reasonable and expected (it looks for watch to connect it on time - thus extra drain)
    Btw, mine take around 2% (a little less) - according to battery graph widget at least

But what i am writing about is close to 100% in 24hrs, that is a totally different level of appetite
  • Tried to turn off
    Exactly as liuguy noticed - drained very fast

In the morning it had 40% or a bit less
    Turned off around 0830 in the morning
    1900 in the evening it did not turn on, when connected to charger it showed 1%
  • I have the same problem. When I turn it off, the battery drains completely within several hours.

It happened to me yesterday.

And also today, but now the device is completely dead, it won't turn and it doesn't charge.

update: in the evening the device was completely dead, but now in the morning it was possible to turn on, so it's not dead...
  • Hello,

Same problem for me ! :mad: The battery drains even if the watch is off, completely in one or two days. I also own the Forerunner 220 and there is no problem like this.

Anybody knows if it's a bug of the firmwire or should I return the watch for warranty ?

Thanks
  • I have the same problem. When I turn it off, the battery drains completely within several hours.

Same problem for me too ! The battery drains completely in one day even if the watch is off:mad: So what's the use of power off ? I also own the Forerunner 220 but there is no such problem.

Is anybody knows if it's a bug of the firmwire or should I return the watch for warranty ?

Thanks
  • Is anybody knows if it's a bug of the firmwire or should I return the watch for warranty ?

Thanks

There is a known and reported problem that turning the watch off will drain the battery quickly. The battery will actually last much longer if you just leave it turned on. (the 230 and 235 both have this problem right now, but no timeframe has been given for a fix)