This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Dim/Hard to read Display on Forerunner 235

Hi everyone. Does anyone else have issues with the display on their Forerunner 235 being "dim"? I'm not talking about the backlight, but the actual image being difficult to read. I've just had mine for a day, and can't go to a store to compare (since none around me carry it yet). Compared to the pictures, and the Forerunner 225, which have bright and easy to read displays, mine isn't that way at all. For instance, the bright whites on the time or heart monitor screens, are more of a gray/silver. Even the colors on the screens are muted.

I have to tilt the watch back and forth some times to make out the readings. Using the backlight helps a little, but I shouldn't have to use it as often as I do in the middle of the day. It just seems that I'm struggling too much to decipher what's on the watch.

Is this common? I couldn't find any other complaints in the forums.

Thanks. Steve.
  • My screen seems to be pretty much the same as my 225 and 220.
  • With displays likes these they always look brighter in pictures, as they are "reflective" displays, and a flash makes them really show! (that also makes them really easy to read in bright sunlight)

for day-to-day use, maybe try different colors on the watchface, as you might find black letters on a white background easier to see, for example.

I have a 230 and not a 235, but I'm sure it's the same display, and it looks the same as a vivoactive to me, and not a problem.
  • Several reviews have mentioned that the display of the 235 is more dim (dull...) than that of the 225. I never owned a 225, so I can't compare them, but I agree that the 235 has very low contrast, especially in artificial light. Outside I find it ok.
  • Thank you for your replies. I'll have it out in the sun tomorrow and will see if there's a difference. I'm watching YouTube videos now, and seems like maybe others aren't as bright as I expected either. There's such a big difference from the static clean sticker that was part of the original packaging, and some of the still photos, I thought mine had a problem.

Steve
  • It is quite faint, and you'll notice there's a lot of white on black as well. Lots of tricks to extend the battery life. This watch is trying to do a lot and could potentially suck down the juice. I personally don't mind it.
  • Mine is horribly dim, as well, and I have found no solutions here in the forums. Everything is on my screen, but is so poorly lit, the only thing I can make out in the backlight given, is the time. The rest of the data is too small to see with such a limited amount of backlight. I am currently on hold with Support to see if anything can be done to resolve this and the crazy amount of steps it says I've taken today. Good luck.
  • I'm finding mine to be really dim too, but I don't think it is anything that a software update wouldn't fix to increase the brightness of the screen.

My 220 was perfect for viewing in the dark or while running, but to be honest I struggle to see what is on the screen on the 235
  • FR235 too dim to read

I'm finding mine to be really dim too, but I don't think it is anything that a software update wouldn't fix to increase the brightness of the screen.

My 220 was perfect for viewing in the dark or while running, but to be honest I struggle to see what is on the screen on the 235

Did anyone find a fix for this ? I've just bought one and am struggling to read it.
  • I think the problem is people compare them to smartphone screens and expect the same level or resolution and brightness.
    A smartphone has the backlight on whenever you are looking at it, and uses a significant amount of power to do so.
    The garmin marketing pics don't help matters.
    That said, I don't have an issue with it. I guess you could have permanent backlight but personally I wouldn't want the battery drain.
  • Same here - Dim screen. Hard to read!!!

Sorry not comparing the watch to anything. Just hard to read without the back-light on. Big disappointment for me.:mad: