This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Can't set date, time is wrong when set automatically

My new Forerunner 235 has the wrong date and time.

Choosing "Set automatically" in the clock options should give the correct time but after syncing it is wrong.

I can set the correct time manually but if I turn on "set automatically" and then sync the watch it will change to the WRONG time.

I can't find anywhere to set the date. It is currently 3 days in the past.

The watch is new and is running version 3.20 of the firmware. I have synced it both with a Windows PC (Garmin Express software) and with an Android mobile phone (Garmin Connect app).

Have you had a satellite fix with it yet? I think the time is set through the GPS link, rather than a computer sync.
  • Yes, GPS fix is necessary

Thanks WEPRERUNNER!

Yes, starting an outdoor activity and getting a GPS fix resolved this problem.

Therefore it must be using the GPS signal for the date and the time offset from Greenwich Mean Time.
  • That's been normal practice for every Garmin device I've ever owned; they acquire the time/date from the GPS signals and not from the computer.
  • Actually, the vivoactive uses your mobile to set the time and not GPS. When I first got one, I figured it used GPS, but it doesn't, and the date/time wasn't set until I paired with my phone.
  • Actually, the vivoactive uses your mobile to set the time and not GPS.

Interesting. I haven't owned one of those, so my statement remains correct. :)

It would be helpful if Garmin was a bit more clear about this for initial setups.
  • Years out...

I have just purchased a new 235, and downloaded the connect app. My first run recorded the correct date but the second has recorded as beoing run on 1 April 2029. Any ideas on how to fix this? All the software must be up to date, as I've only just downloaded it, and my tmie zone is correctly set on garmin connect via browser.
  • Also having the same problem! I tried going outside and starting a run, but it won't pick up a GPS signal!
  • Are you seeing any of the bars for the GPS signal display green?

Double check the settings and maybe try leaving it on a window sill for a few minutes with the Run activity selected to triple check, but if neither of those work it sounds like you received a defective unit.

What should happen is: you hit Enter and have the Run activity showing, the watch will then say "GPS Ready" within a few seconds. Just tried it now with my watch indoors, sitting in front of a south facing window, and I had GPS lock within six seconds.

If you've never had a lock, it could take a bit longer the first time out, but the above is what I get as normal operation.
  • Also having the same problem! I tried going outside and starting a run, but it won't pick up a GPS signal!

Maryj984 are your problems looking like anything like im having... see here https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?338894-235-keeps-resetting-for-want-of-a-better-choice-of-words&p=781727#post781727
  • Same problem

Garmin 235 is 2 days old. Bought in Switzerland, now I"m back in Singapore (i.e. no easy return option for me) and today it went dead, then jumped back to a time yesterday. It took me ages to get it to automattical find the date and time after the time difference (my old one was a quick "run" and it updated in a few seconds) then it lost the time, wouldn't get new time despite having it on "run" outside for ages ...
    What is the official story from Garmin? Again this is an expensive watch and I see these issues going back since inception without resolution?