Tacx Vortex Calibration Issues

Good evening all,

I have a Tacx Vortex Smart Trainer and I'm having major difficulties with. I tried setting up Zwift but despite having all the things I need hardware wise, I wasn't able to get going. I decided to go back to basics and downloaded the Tacx Utility app for my iPhone.

Initially, all went well and the app detected the Vortex immediately. On the Calibration or Test Dashboard, here is what happens.

I start pedalling and the app detects my speed. As I accelerate, the readings start to increase to around 15kph but will then start to drop back slowly down to zero - even though by now, I'm pedalling quicker and so the speed should be going up.

I've tried all sorts of things from unpairing Bluetooth to having the phone right next to the trainer but it won't work. I updated to the latest firmware but still no luck.

If someone could offer some suggestions I'd be very grateful.

Thanks,

Darren

• You've probably checked this but if not, is the roller pressing hard enough against the wheel? Is your tyre pumped up hard enough?

• Thanks for the reply.

initially, my tyre was not pumped up much but I have increased this to 100 psi but get the same issues. I can increase this again but even when I’m pedalling slowly, the speed will start to increase but this always then drops to 0 kph and I can’t even calibrate the turbo as it won’t allow me to get to 30 kph even with a minute or so where I’m practically putting in a sprint level effort.

• RipVan - Thanks for the tip. After I posted my last message, I pumped my tyre up to aroun 115 psi and for some reason, this seemed to do the trick. I was able to calibrate using the Tacx Utility app and the dashboard was reading my cadence and power. However, all was going so well that I tried to use Zwift. Despite it detecting all my kit, and with me using the Zwift Companion app, it again, left me at the start line at 0 watts and 0 kph. Reall not sure why this is the case but my connections seem to be all over the place.

• That's similar to my experience with the tyre pressures. I bought my Tacx turbo in 2017 and was putting around 100psi into the tyre. It didn't always calibrate at that. Since then I've been using it as a "dumb?" trainer but went back to the Tacx apps recently, gave things a quick read through and noticed the recommended tyre pressure was 100 to 120psi. Put it to 110psi and hasn't failed to calibrate since. The phone app seems better than the desk top as I can start a slope or power training session without selecting a workout. I haven'tworked out if that can be done on desktop?

Can't help with Zwift, I've only ever done the free trial.

• This is probably some kind of problem with the speed sensor in the Vortex. Check if the electro unit (right side) fits snugly against the resistance unit. Try to disconnect the electro unit and then reconnect it.