Tacx Flow Calibration - always too loose

Hi there, one week ago I bought this smart trainer.

When I use the Tacx Training app to calibrate, it ALWAYS says its "too loose" after the 30 kph test and the marker stays at the left corner no matter how much I try to squeeze it.

I think I already read all the topics concerning tacx flow calibration and tried the warm-up methods (10min, 20min, 1 hour) and no matter, its always too loose on the left corner.

I also use continental tyres (700x25) and tried with 100 and 110 PSI, my bike is a TT bike.

Also, I already downloaded a previous version of the app (Tacx Utility) and the same thing happens.

The ONLY thing I think I didnt try is to place the resistance on the "Position 2" to test it (so I use the top one - Pos 1.  Honestly, I don't think this would change anything, since the marker doenst change anyway, but Im gladly to hear what you guys think about that.

When I use the trainer on Zwift it does read the up and downhill (so I guess the only concern here is that the power isnt probably accurate since I never know it is calibrated, right?)

I only created this topic to kindly ask to the Tacx Flow users that can calibrate correctly whats the time from 30 kph to 0 (after u stop pedaling).I estimate the time here is 5 to 6 seconds.  

Im just asking that because, since zwift is fine, I don't want to deliver back my trainer to the store asking for the support since it is so far away from where I live plus I don't have a power meter anyway to use it as reference when Im not on the trainer and I wont even by one (meaning it doenst matter wich number I see on the screen anyway, I wont be able to replicate in a real situation)

My plan here is simple: check with tacx flow users the time to get from 30 to 0 and estimate if the trainer is "properly" calibrated.

Thanks. 

• it ALWAYS says its "too loose"

Don't give it too much importance. The coefficient for power is still determined and memorized by the trainer. It is important that you do not have tire slippage on virtual tracks.

• Thanks for the explanation, Alex, really nice to know.

• The coefficient for power is still determined and memorized by the trainer

Rafael, Alex, I have the same issue, I get "Calibration Successful" if I calibrate on the Garmin (530) but have never had a successful calibration with the Tacx App (iphone),

Alex, the only options with the calibration screen is a sucessful calibration or "skip", are you saying that if you "skip" it still updates a coefficient as this is not my experience?

ALWAYS says its "too loose" after the 30 kph test and the marker stays at the left corner

Rafael, do you mean "right corner?

• Hi there.

Yeah, right corner, actually Tacx Training and Tacx Utility have different sides to show "too loose", since I tried on both I cant really remember wich one is the "right" or "left" side hehe, but its exactly like in the picture, stays in the corner where says "too loose" no matter what and on both apps.

• Alex, the only options with the calibration screen is a sucessful calibration or "skip", are you saying that if you "skip" it still updates a coefficient as this is not my experience?

My explanation for this is this: the developers indicated in the application the wrong limits for the calibration coefficient for this model of the trainer. The coefficient itself is determined, remembered by the trainer, but on the red-green scale it is displayed as out of range.

• This is great article and fun to read! I hope to read more of your post! 

Charter Panorama

• I have the same problem.

I tryed with 2.1.2 versione of Tacx Utility but no lucky.

How can I solve the "too loose" problem?

Thanks

• How can I solve the "too loose" problem?

I would like to be able to offer you a sure fire solution but my Tacx Flow(s) always had calibration problems too. My first only calibrated with the roller pressing so hard against the tyre that is was almost impossible to pedal and eventually, (10 months), the blue lever broke due to the excessive pressure. Garmin replaced the resistance unit (thank you) but I was never able to calibrate the 2nd unit, always "too loose". I tightened the wheel as much as possible without the barrel nut coming off the bolt but it never calibrated. Garmin were going to replace the whole unit again as the "experts" at the Tacx factory agreed there was some problem possibly with the frame but months went by and Garmin could not get stock in my region so they eventually refunded my money and I (still with faith in Tacx) purchased a discounted Flux S (still going strong).

There are numerous flow "calibration problem" postings here and some never seem to resolve. Some possible solutions include using variations of the mounting holes, ensuring the unit is warmed up before attempting calibration.

I found (oddly) that while the Flow would not calibrate with the Tacx Training App it would calibrate if using the "Calibrate Indoor Trainer" option on my Garmin 530, in fact it always just calibrated without any adjustment to the roller pressure. Garmin says you can calibrate with the Tacx App OR the Garmin, https://support.garmin.com/en-AU/?faq=sdgdMoFqDn06eLSYFrnrg5 ,don't know if other cycle computers have a calibration option.

GPLAMA says in his Flow "unboxing" video that you should tighten the adjustment only as much as needed to ensure there is no slippage against the tyre, maybe give that a go and then just use it ignoring the Tacx App calibration required prompts.

My Flow was my first "smart" trainer and apart from the calibration issues I liked it, used it for a few thousand kms but the direct drive trainer (the Flux) is much better, more realistic and a much better workout.

Good Luck

• How can I solve the "too loose" problem?

Install TTS4 on your computer, and you will have no problems with calibration, training, or anything else.
    http://w47.narod.ru/tts4.html
    http://w47.narod.ru/tts4.pdf