This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

how to start a timed activity on Vivosport WITHOUT waiting, i.e. WHILE device locates GPS satellites (like it works e.g. on Forerunner 235)?

This is a request to implement a feature with Garmin vivosport firmware, which is available and default with other Garmin trackers, e.g. the Forerunner 235.

• When starting an activity (e.g. running, cycling), I want to be able to start the timer WHILE the device is waiting for GPS satellites, and add GPS track data only from the point on when available, i.e. not recording GPS track data for the begin of the trail of the activity.
  • Vivosport, when starting an activity, locks on ‘wait for GPS’ which can take up to 3 minutes. I do not want to go out the house (built of concrete, no GPS signal inside) and stand still for 3 minutes and not start my activity, I also do not want to make my sports buddies wait with me in the cold until the Vivosport found satellites:( – when starting while waiting for GPS signal (a) the timer is not started and (b) once the GPS signal becomes available (which you surely miss when running), it needs a superfluous ‘touch to start activity’, which quickly times out – resulting in no activity recording at all. Very annoying.
  • I know that the 235 firmware dialogue does implement exactly this feature, which the Vivosport is missing. Adding it seems a very small change to firmware.
  • Alternatively, which Garmin trackers have this feature, which the Vivosport is currently lacking? (since the 235 is pretty big and heavy to wear, i'd be looking for a smaller form factor)

Thanks.

References:

Garmin Manual > vívosport > Recording a Timed Activity

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/vivosport/EN-US/GUID-E54F3F88-3C57-480D-94A6-578ABC962600.html

1. If your location is set to outside, go outside, and wait while the device locates GPS satellites.

It may take a few minutes to locate satellite signals. When satellites are located, a message appears.

1. Double tap the touchscreen to start the timer.

Garmin Manual > Forerunner 230/235 > Going for a Run

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/forerunner230/EN-US/GUID-7B49E0DE-EF20-4AEE-8D57-3EC80550A984.html

explains

1. Select (run), and select an activity profile.
  2. Go outside, and wait while the device locates satellites.
  3. Select (run) to start the timer. (<- works WHILE waiting for GPS satellites)
  4. Go for a run. 
  • Any updates on this request? I am having the same issue. And finally found somebody having this struggle. 

• i think by now the answer is 'model discontinued'. i dumped my vivosport and moved to a 235 (now outdated too, but at least it works ...). its also odd that you have to try out any further model, since neither the tech spec nor the manual is giving any information on this specific behaviour:(  

• I am just as annoyed as WUKU and 2412719 are - by the absence of this function. Dear GARMIN, please, add this START ACTIVITY (regardless of GPS) function to vivosport!