This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Allow treadmill walking to calculate VO2 max or Fitness

It seems you have to run or walk outdoors with GPS with Vivosport to get a VO2 estimate. It would be nice to be able to estimate VO2 or Fitness Level max by treadmill walking. Since it can be done with the Vivosmart 3 or 4 without a GPS it should be able to be done with the Vivosport.

I am too elderly to run and don't have any level place to walk without driving . I am trying to improve cardio on a treadmill and thought I could measure VO2 with the Vivosport but it turns out I really can't unless I do it outdoors and drive to a track somewhere. It's frustrating.

Walking on a treadmill seems more consistent and reproducible and my treadmill pace matches the Vivosport pace remarkably well.

Garmin should be able to add the same software they use in the Vivosmart 3. The fact that the Vivosport has a GPS should not make it less capable than the Vivosmart 3. I kind of feel cheated that I paid more for a device that does less in terms of VO2. Actually, the GPS requirement makes VO2 calculations impossible.
  • I feel EXACTLY the same way!   I have always done my Vo2 max tests on indoor treadmill as I live in very hilly and uneven terrain.  We shouldn’t lose the ability to test on a treadmill with a newer watch just because it has gps!  Ridiculous.  You can’t tell me that there is not a huge segment of their market that only uses indoor treadmills!  Bought a new watch for my birthday, Venu 2s and it looks like it will have to go back.  I also feel cheated.  

• Exactly. I got the Solar 7x for 750€ and I am also very disappointed that there is no way of getting a VO2 MAX without running outdoors which I simply don´t like