This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Terrible VO2 Max

My VO2 Max just keep getting worse according to my Vivosport, not saying it's defective, it's probably just me, but nothing I do seem to improve it, just keep getting worse. I need some advice please.
I'm 5'6'', 150lb, 33 years old. Been running for a month and a half and apparently no improvement. I can only go at a very slow pace, about 12min per mile to keep my HR below 160. What's wrong with me, lol. At this rate I don't see a way to get under 20min on a 5k race. Please help! ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1263601.png
  • Same here.

A year ago I couldn't run 100 meters. Gott a vo2max reading of 40.

I have managed to improve to the point where I now I can run 5k without stopping. And my vo2max have declined to 34. And is giving me the fitness level of a 64 year old. And I'm 39!

• Ignore it. It's one of the crappier sides of the Vivosport. I've been cycling for a year now, lost 7kgs, (10% of my body weight of which 73% of that 7kg was fat) cycled nearly 3000 miles and am feeling vastly fitter than I was. The Vivosport still thinks I have a VO2 max of 37 which is " bottom 35% for your age and gender." Well it's only a metric calculated by an algorithm, so I'm not crediting it with much value. And even if it's right, they say that VO2max is largely inherited. So there's not a lot you can do to change it. Just work with what you have and don't worry about the stats.

Also. On the Vivosport VO2max will only be calculated from a walking or running event. Since I only run when chased and mostly cycle rather than walk, it only gets updated when it thinks I'm going for a long walk. I did ONCE go for a 1.5 mile run just to try it out and see if my VO2max score had 'improved'. It hadn't, so I decided to ignore it from now on.

• Same here..  its worthless despite so-calked studies that claim crazy accuracy.  My fitness has improved  greatly and my resting HR now averages about 56. But my v02 max has gone down.  I am 56 with two fake hips but I can power walk and even run with much lower hr...

Not to mention no matter how I wash it out or clean my rust, half the time my HR is WAY off on the watch will exercising. 

I would ignore it, and go by your performance....can you exercise longer and harder without gasping for air... then you are doing great.  I can cycle much faster and stronger than anyone my age and do very hard all body 30 min weight training wit no issues..  

My advice, if you really want a v02 max test, go and get one by a competent dr.  And ignore your watch.  

• Same here..  its worthless despite so-calked studies that claim crazy accuracy.  My fitness has improved  greatly and my resting HR now averages about 56. But my v02 max has gone down.  I am 56 with two fake hips but I can power walk and even run with much lower hr...

Not to mention no matter how I wash it out or clean my rust, half the time my HR is WAY off on the watch will exercising. 

I would ignore it, and go by your performance....can you exercise longer and harder without gasping for air... then you are doing great.  I can cycle much faster and stronger than anyone my age and do very hard all body 30 min weight training wit no issues..  

My advice, if you really want a v02 max test, go and get one by a competent dr.  And ignore your watch.