This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Inaccurate distance measurement using GPS?

I'm beginning to doubt the accuracy of  distance measurement with my Vivosmart 4. After I updated the app a couple weeks ago, I noticed that the Lap indicator (set to a mile) went off several hundred yards short of where it used to go off on my regular walks. 

Last week we did a 6.2 mile hike (according to all the signage), but Connect came up with 8+ miles.

And today, we did some hiking. Connect reports 8 miles for the full walk, but there is NO WAY this is accurate. Round trip it should have been maybe 4 miles at most. And if I look at the map, the miles (laps) are way too close together. 

It seemed like accuracy was better before. Has anyone else had trouble with this?

• Yes. Today I did a walk with the Vivosmart 4 (software 5.1) getting GPS from my iPhone 11p; Vivosmart 4 said 4.17 miles.  At the same time I ran an app on the phone that recorded distance; this app said 3.32 mi.  Later I used Google maps on a computer to plot the distance: 3.5 mi.  Also the Garmin pace data average was unrealistically low at 14 min/mi (I walk 16-20 min/mi pace).  The pace graph was ok but the calculated average too fast.

• Yes. Today I did a walk with the Vivosmart 4 (software 5.1) getting GPS from my iPhone 11p; Vivosmart 4 said 4.17 miles.  At the same time I ran an app on the phone that recorded distance; this app said 3.32 mi.  Later I used Google maps on a computer to plot the distance: 3.5 mi.  Also the Garmin pace data average was unrealistically low at 14 min/mi (I walk 16-20 min/mi pace).  The pace graph was ok but the calculated average too fast.

Today I used a Garmin Forerunner 235 at the same time as the Vivosmart 4.  The walk distance on the Forerunner 235 was 3.33 miles; the Vivosmart 4 gave a distance of 3.56 miles. 0.23 miles difference or 7%.