This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

New vivosmart 4 Public Beta 4.44 Now Available

A new Beta software (4.44) for the vivosmart 4 has been released to help address and/or reduce the likelihood of Syncing and Device Connection Errors. Our Engineering and Development teams continue to actively work towards a public software release that resolves this issue.

The Public Beta update file can be found here: Beta Download.zip

*Although this software is believed to be reliable, it has not yet been released for production and should be used at your own risk.

Changes made from version 4.40 to 4.44:

• Made Stability Improvements including Syncing and Device Connection Errors.

Installation Instructions

1. Connect your device to your computer using the micro-USB cable.
    • The vivosmart 4 will need to be placed into Mass Storage Mode by:

1. Connect device to computer and wait for time screen
      2. Tap the ‘button’
      3. Swipe and select the Gear
      4. Swipe and select i
      5. Swipe and select Mass Storage
        • You will need to wait about 5-7 seconds for the device to enter mass storage mode (indicated by the battery icon and USB icon only showing on the screen)
  2. Download and unzip GUPDATE.zip and place the GUPDATE.gcd file in the Garmin folder of your device's internal storage drive.
  3. Disconnect your device from the computer and wait for the update to finish. (you will see a Gear Icon with a status bar during the update) 
  • Dear,

I have the sync issue and would like to install this beta release.

It there a way to install the upgrade from a MAC computer (macOS Catalina 10.15.3)

Tx a lot

• upgrade done via Garmin connect for Mac.

• Wait a minute. We bought a device that doesn't work, and now you are asking us to download a beta version "at our own risk."  I appreciate you are working on this, but how about letting us know when you have a solution you know works. If that can't be done, then the thing is going back and I'm asking for a refund as it is under warranty and does not do what it said it would do when I purchased it. I am unwilling to take on the responsibility of your research and development team at my own cost unless the "at your own risk" is changed to "we will pay for this if it doesn't work out."

• No one is forcing you to update to the beta, nor are they saying that the issue will never be fixed unless you do so, This is a beta software version that people MAY install if they want to test out the functionality that it brings. There is a risk with beta software, but I usually update my forerunner to the latest beta and have never had any problems. If you wait a while, the beta testing will be completed and the software will be on full public release that will be pushed to your device.

• This beta has, so far, substantially improved the sync issues I was experiencing.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago

I updated to the Beta on 4 day ago. I just got my first Sync issue and seems I have to try to do all the mentioned pseudofixes mentioned here in another threads. This is really frustrating.

• How do you update this using a MAC? where do you put the file GUPDATE.gcd?

• You would need to put the GUPDATE.GCD file (extracted) in the Garmin Folder.

• Where in the Garmin Folder. When I attach my VS4 to my MAC I get a list of folders all with nothing in. 

• When you open the Garmin Drive from your Desktop or the Dock, you will have two files/folders that appear (Garmin Folder and AUTORUN.INF). Double Click on the Garmin Folder and then place the GUPDATE.GCD file in this Folder. Once you see it listed with the files and folders, unplug the vivosmart 4 from the computer.