This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Vivosmart 4 problems with Connected GPS

After the firmware my Garmin VS4 has connected GPS. Very happy but very soon I found that I have only few GPS completed workouts. Most of the time I have only short segment from my routes. It is not my phone GPS because other software gave me complete routes (started at the same time with my VS4).

Anybody with the same problem? Any solutions?

• Same problem. Have a GPS Fix on my smartphone, Connect App started, but VS4 shows waitng for GPS. @Garmin, what is the problem? Please, can you fix it soon?

• I have the Vivomove style, purchased in April_2020. For the last two days can not connect to GPS, previously experiencing GPS map and distance issue. 

Watch connects to mobile GPS but I get part or disjointed map on Garmin Connect. Distance is usually short too. I use strava and Endomondo on my Samsung A8 mobile at the same time which produces the same map and very close distance. 

In addition the pace makes no sense at all. I have run for enough years to know my pace. 

I would expect more from Garmin as known for their running equipment. 

I have cleared data and cache on the App which did not help. I am not sure if it is a software or hardware issue.

Any help will he gratefully excepted. 

• Well unfortunately I've just started the process to return my Vivosmart 4, when I first received it it was working great, I was really pleased with it, then the GPS failed to connect, I tried everything, bluetooth was still connecting but it wouldn't connect to GPS, previously when I first got it it did connect to GPS, I tried everything, resetting, reconnecting etc. nothing worked, I gave up, I'll get something else and do far more research on my next purchase, I really am disappointed I just hope the returns process gives me no headaches, I will probably get another Garmin, but I'd advise people not to get the Vivosmart 4 if they want it to connect to GPS...

• It's not the device, I looked at another thread and saw that Garmin Connect version 4.31.1 worked. The last two updates killed it again. I rolled back to 4.31.1 and it now works again. 

• Sounds great, I did look for previous versions of the software/firmware, I couldn't find them, anyway, it's not working as it should so I'm returning it, I'm getting to old to be constantly "fiddling" with things that should work but don't. Just out of interest how did you revert back to 4.31.1, I did do a full reset, back to factory defaults but it was still on the latest version. Others might be interested in how you reverted back?

• Ha I'm 61 and sick of fiddling to get this feature to work as advertised! But Fiddle I did, it now works. I followed the instructions from Johann7 in the Apps&Software section of the forum. He said:

“Google doesn't officially support downgrades through Play, but you can sideload an older version of an app from one of the several websites that archives old versions.
    I usually use APKMirror, as I did in this case - you'll need their companion installer app, which you can download from the Play Store, to install an older version of Connect because of how the app is packaged. Once you have the APKMirror installer app installed, go to the APKMirror website, search for Garmin Connect, and download version 4.31.1. Uninstall the current version of Garmin Connect (4.32). Then run the APKMirror installer, find the Garmin Connect package you downloaded, and install it.
    You'll need to make sure Play Store automatic updates are turned off, else it will just install the newest (broken) version again, and make sure you don't accidentally update Connect until the bug is fixed (hopefully next version) when you're updating other apps.”

I did this on my Samsung S5 and it's working fine again, no reset on the watch was required. Hope this helps and that Garmin figure out how they broke it in the newer versions.

• I ended up trying this, it works, I'll test it on another 2-3 walks before I cancel returning it, still this stuff just shouldn't happen, there will be a lot of returns from users that don't go searching for these "fixes" and if Garmin don't fix it, I'm stuck with no android updates if I want to keep this apk version lol...or keep installing it of course every time it updates...
    I used this apk

BTW, I just downloaded the correct apk, uploaded it to dropbox and installed it to my mobile from there.

Thanks Danger.Mouse ;)

• I  feel your pain! Glad it worked for you. Garmin is a poor communicator when it comes to most things. 

• Mine (vivosmart 4) just stopped working on Saturday (jun 27).  I have performed a reset, reinstalled Garmin connect, a bunch of other things and it just will not connect to gps.  I use this feature daily and it is pretty accurate when i compare it to strava so most annoying that it won't connect.  I have sent an email to Garmin.  Still waiting for a response. I read the comment below about rolling back the software update but the process sounds exhausting.  I hate technology sometimes. 

• Yes, it's ridiculous that Garmin hasn't fixed this, absolutely agree, I will just say, rolling back really isn't that difficult, but I understand your reluctance, as I said I'm getting too old for this crap, but rolling back does at least get the GPS connecting again, hopefully Garmin will extract their finger... and fix this problem with future updates...

You just need to remove the latest version from your mobile
    Download the usable version (see my post above for the link)
    Upload to Dropbox
    Access Dropbox find the APK you uploaded
    Tap it to install the older version
    Voila! it now works.

I'm only telling you how to, because I doubt Garmin will reply to your email (if they do, please return and let us know)