This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

vivosmart 4 and chest strap

I'm considering a vivosmart 4 coming from fitbit charge 3.  I'm looking for a decent activity tracker mostly interested in 24 heart rate and sleep tracking, no real interest in smart watch features.  I like the battery life and form factor of both vivosmart and charge 3.  I understand fitbit maybe ahead in the sleep area.  I like what i've seen of the garmin app and data.  I also have come to understand optical heart rate monitors just don't seem to cut it for intense or near intense exercise. 

I mostly do elliptical and indoor rowing.  I've found the heart rate data during those exercises to be pretty much useless, and don't expect the vivosmart 4 to radically improve over the charge 3.  I'd like to be able to use something like the vivosmart all day, but substitute the Heart rate data only during exercises with a chest strap monitor.  

Are there any use-cases where something like this can be achieved?  

• Unfortunately the only thing you can do is wear a chest strap and record the data on another app, and adjust the data to match later in Garmin Connect(avg-HR, max HR) etc

• Doesn't Garmin make a chest strap? I thought they did ...

• They do, but the Vivosmart 4 does not support external chest straps of any kind.

• I just purchased a Vivosmart 4 and a HRM-Dual.  The YouTube video from Garmin specifically says the HRM-DUAL will pair with "any Garmin device",  Based on this thread and my efforts last night, there is no scenario where I will be able to pair my HRM-Dual and my Vivosmart 4.  Is that correct?

I came over to Garmin from FitBit and I really like the size and weight of the Vivosmart 4 but heart rate accuracy is very important to me.  I could even see myself wearing a chest strap for a full 24 hours to get a glimpse of accurate data.  Which device would be recommended for my case?  

• I came from fitbit as well, and heart rate during activity is important to me.  I wouldn't wear a chest strap 24/7 tho :)

I wanted something similar to the fitbit charge 3, something small.  didn't think i'd want a bulky round watch.  I was wong, i got a forerunner 245 and any ant+/bluetooth chest strap works great with it.  I've come to love the buttons and no touch screen.  I'm even considering upgrading to a fenix 6 or 945.

• How is the heart rate accuracy of the forerunner 245 compared to the charge 3 without the chest strap? I have both the vivosmart 4 and the charge 3 but I only use the charge 3 now because it responds faster to heart rate changes faster and the sleep tracking is more accurate. If the forerunner 245 is as accurate or better I would switch because of the stress tracking and body battery.

• I think the FR245 and Vivosmart 4 have the exact same hr sensor, so their performance should be similar.

• This is kinda shame for garmin.

I also decided to come from Fitbit because of presence of hear rate chest strap among Garmin devices. I don't like e-watches, I am mechanical person with suit of good classical watches. I thought to use compact and nice Vivosmart 4  with HRM-DULA, because it was clear to me, that I'll be able to connect these two devices, but I can't (The same storu as mentioned above). Moreover, I can use thousand of side apps to read the data from HRM-DUAL via Bluetooth, but I cannot read the data from Garmin HRM-DUAL with original Garmin app. In my opinion it is a shame.
    My next devices will be definitely not Garmin!!!

• I'm with you 100%. I'm done with Garmin. This heart rate sensor is wildly inaccurate and without any compatibility with my HRM1G which might have been its saving grace. Returning it today. 

• Does anyone know if there has been a change in support with a HRM and the vivoactove4.

Everything I find seems to indicate it should.

The online manual talk about the watch choosing the hrm data over the watch, if it's available. The vivoactive4 page list HRM in it's accesories