This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

HR Accuracy of Vivosmart 4

Former Member
Former Member
(sorry for my broken English as it is not my mother tongue)

I bought the Vivosmart 4 yesterday and updated S/W 2.60.

Tested its HR accuracy of Vivosmart 4 by comparing with the combination of Garmin 935+Scosche Rhythm 24. Workout; 45 mins indoor cycling.

In the attached pictures show the HR reading from Scosche (picture on the left) was quite a reasonable while the Vivosmart 4 (picture on the right) shown quite a low HR (below 80 bmp) at the beginning, then rose up to a more a more reasonable reading from the final 10 mins of the workout!!

Is it something wrong with my Vivo4 or does it need a few days to warm up?

Thanks a lot. ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1425540.jpg ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1425541.jpg
  • I am waaaaay low also. If walking fast uphill on a treadmill (low impact), chest strap registering 140-150, Smart4 is saying 90-100. Horrible. Well, I have the strap, but now I'm questioning the HR at rest. My "normal" number for resting heart rate with FitBit was 55-60. Now, with Smart4 it is 50-55.
  • There are a lot of variables that can affect optical heart rate readings. I have provided a link from our Support Center with tips on how to make the optical heart rate sensor more accurate: https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=xQwjQjzUew4BF1GYcusE59&productID=605739&searchQuery=improving%20heart%20rate%20accuracy &tab=topics

I recommend trying these suggestions to see if you get better heart rate readings. If you are still seeing drastically low heart rate, please reach out to your local product support so that we may gather more information.
  • since there isn't a biking activity it might not be optimal for that. maybe try another activity type and compare.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 5 years ago
    I have been testing the Vivosmart4 by doing 45 mins indoor cycling, and compared with my 935 plus Scosche Rhythm 24. As shown in the attached pictures, 2 out of 3 times, the heart dropped in my viviosmart4.ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1429930.jpg
  • Former Member
    since there isn't a biking activity it might not be optimal for that. maybe try another activity type and compare.

Thanks, let me try.
  • Former Member
    Compared again 935+scosche24 (using indoor cycling mode) with Vivosmart 4 (using *running mode). *been using Cardio mode, result not good, this time using Running mode to test the heart rate). Result was speechless,
    ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1432324.jpg
  • HR from wristbands always have a lot of trouble cycling. fitbit, garmin, etc its a common issue
  • (sorry for my broken English as it is not my mother tongue)

I bought the Vivosmart 4 yesterday and updated S/W 2.60.

Tested its HR accuracy of Vivosmart 4 by comparing with the combination of Garmin 935+Scosche Rhythm 24. Workout; 45 mins indoor cycling.

In the attached pictures show the HR reading from Scosche (picture on the left) was quite a reasonable while the Vivosmart 4 (picture on the right) shown quite a low HR (below 80 bmp) at the beginning, then rose up to a more a more reasonable reading from the final 10 mins of the workout!!

Is it something wrong with my Vivo4 or does it need a few days to warm up?

Thanks a lot.

Do you use them together? How about the activity tracking? They double the steps and activities?
    Which one have you choose as preferred?
    Have you started activity on both of them?

Thanks!
  • Former Member
    Do you use them together? How about the activity tracking? They double the steps and activities?
    Which one have you choose as preferred?
    Have you started activity on both of them?

Thanks!

I use 935 solely when doing HR training like running, swimming etc. and Vivo4 as my daily activities tracker for my HR, steps, sleep pattern etc..

Apart from the inconsistent HR during exercises, the Vivo4 is OK being a daily tracker.
  • I use 935 solely when doing HR training like running, swimming etc. and Vivo4 as my daily activities tracker for my HR, steps, sleep pattern etc..

Apart from the inconsistent HR during exercises, the Vivo4 is OK being a daily tracker.

If you're going to use 935 for all day do you change the preferred tracker? Or not?

Thanks!