This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

VO2Max no longer updating - Software v3.90 - Vivomove Style

Hi all, 

it seems that since the update to 3.90 (Vivomove Style), the watch is not providing an estimate of VO2max during running activities. Before the update, the watch would provide an estimate for all the runs. Is this a known issue? 

Thanks!

• Hello folks, happy to report that at some point this afternoon the "Current" VO2 Max screen in the Garmin Connect app got "unstuck".

It now shows the same value reported by the watch and in the "4w", "12w" and "6m" graphs and it is correctly labeled "yesterday", when I run.

Same thing on the Garmin Connect web page, see below:

No more "April 19" date! 

Either it was a weird delay in the data processing on Garmin side or they fixed whatever it was still wrong.

Tomorrow I'll go for another run and see what happens, it should add another data point in the graphs and hopefully update the "Current" screen as well.

• By the way, I noticed this morning they seems to have also fixed the issue with the reversed time axis of the "Last 4 hours" graphs of Body Battery and Stress in the watch display.

Now you can read them from left to right...

• Happy to report that VO2 Max got updated again this afternoon, after a GPS-tracked run.

This time the latest value and its date appeared immediately on the watch, the Garmin Connect app and Garmin Connect web page, including the "Current" screen.

It took almost exactly two months, but the issue seems to be now fixed. 

, thanks for your follow-up. 

• Did any of you ever had Vo2max updated without GPS? I know this is now being picky but I used to have the Vo2max updates even without GPS although it says is the less accurate measure. Since the fix with version 4.0 that doesn’t seem to be possible anymore...anyone else?

• Great! I am happy to see this is working as it should! 

• Hey , does this mean if I go for a walk without GPS I should not have a Vo2max reading? I used to have it and I’m sure it’s in the manual that you will have a reading but it’s less accurate.

• Hey there! This article towards the middle talks about, with GPS, without and how its calculated. This is incredibly helpful on understanding how it works. What Is the VO2 Max Estimate and How Does It Work?

• , I do not think I have ever tried a run or walk outside without GPS with the Style, so I couldn't tell. 

When I had a Vivomove HR, which did NOT have Connected GPS, VO2 Max was always updated, even when running in place.

However, based on the what's written on the page  pointed you to, it seems all Garmin devices with GPS or Connected GPS update VO2 Max only during a GPS-tracked actvity.

Running VO2 Max Estimate

For most devices, the activity must be recorded using the Run activity profile.

• Running activity must be 10 minutes or longer in length
        • vivosport requires up to 15 minutes in length
      • Activity must be recorded outdoors with a GPS signal
      • Heart rate data from either a built-in optical heart rate sensor or from a chest strap
      • Heart rate must be elevated to at least 70% of your maximum heart rate for at least 10 minutes continuously
        • vivosport requires up to 15 minutes continuously

It says this about devices with no GPS capability:

VO2 Max Estimate Without GPS

This method only applies to compatible watches that do not feature an internal GPS receiver

• Record a brisk walk or running activity for at least 15 minutes in duration
      • Speed of activity needs to be held above 4km per hour (2.5 mph)
  • , actually, there might be another explanation. Out of curiosity, I was re-reading this:

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=HVMcrDvQ3m2xEFh1aVMbU8&searchQuery=vo2%20max

Point #5 in this paragraph and the sentence that follows it might be the answer to your question:

==============================================================================================================================

The Type of Activity Recorded Did Not Trump a Previously Recorded Activity

The type of VO2 Max Estimate recorded (Running versus Cycling versus Walking) can determine if you will receive an updated reading for a certain activity. Your overall VO2 Max Estimate is taken based on the following five activities type in order of preference. Each refers to the named activity type being recorded with a running timer and saved on the device. Not all Garmin products support all methods of VO2 Max estimation.

1. Running Activity with GPS: This activity type yields the most accurate overall VO2 max estimate.
      • Example: You record a Run Activity with GPS (#1 in the list) which generates a VO2 Max Estimate on May 1st. That reading will display in Garmin Connect and will only show updated readings with additional Run Activities with GPS for the next 30 days. Other activity types below in this list will only update the overall VO2 Max Estimate if the May 1st running activity with GPS is older than 30 days. 

2. Cycling Activity with a power meter When a measurement is achieved, this will always yield a Cycling VO2 max measurement, even if there is also an overall VO2 max measurement from #1 above.

3. Walking Activity with GPS
      • Example: You record a Walking Activity with GPS (#3 in the list) which generates a VO2 Max Estimate on May 1st. The next day, you record a Run Activity with GPS (#1 in the list) which generates a VO2 Max Estimate. The overall VO2 Max Estimate in Garmin Connect will be updated regardless of the age of the Walking activity because Running with GPS is #1 in this list.

4. Walking during daily routine without recording an Activity

5. Running Activity without GPS (using foot cadence as a speed estimate)

We display the most accurately measured value in Garmin Connect which is running outdoors with GPS. Essentially you could run one day and then proceed to do an activity of other types for the next 29 days but still show just that one originally recorded run with GPS activity since it is considered to be the most accurate.

The outside exception as noted above is a cycling VO2 Max Estimate which will update each time you meet the criteria on a bike ride.

==============================================================================================================================

The activities generating a VO2 Max update are "ranked" in priority, with the higher priority ones overriding those with lower priority up to 30 days after the last higher priority activity. Since "Running Activity without GPS" is the very last one, could it be that after the software update you did one of the other activities higher in the list and so the VO2 Max for an activity with no GPS will not be updated until 30 days have passed?

• Yeah I definitely read it somewhere but I'm not sure was what you found. I don't run or cycle but I walk and I definitely never used GPS apart from when I first bought the watch - couldn't be bother taking my phone with me all the time. 

I also don't recall not having any recordings after a GPS walk if I did a non-GPS walk. Just very strange. It's not the end of the world but I'm quite confident something is not right.