This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

VO2Max no longer updating - Software v3.90 - Vivomove Style

Hi all, 

it seems that since the update to 3.90 (Vivomove Style), the watch is not providing an estimate of VO2max during running activities. Before the update, the watch would provide an estimate for all the runs. Is this a known issue? 

Thanks!

• I had a Vivomove HR too  before the Style. I got that new, in fact I preordered it and wait for a couple of months before it was shipped, as I snatched shorty after it came out. I really like watches with mechanical hands, not simulated on a screen.

The Vivomove HR did not give me any troubles for the two and half year I had it, although it went through several FW updates as well. Only once, for freak reasons and just at random not after a FW update, it got stuck with the display on and unresponsive. I let the battery die, recharged it and never had any issues again.

Before I got the Style I was seriously considering the Fossil HR Collider, in particular the Smoke Stainless Steel model. Very good looking smart watch. If Garmin had something similar, with a chronograph-style look but with the behind-the-hands color screen as in the Style instead of the black and white screen as the Fossil, it would be terrific.

The Instinct Solar is really cool, like a Casio G-Shock on steroids in term of features. With the exception of VO2 Max............

As it stands, in my case I would "need" three watches:

- The Style for looks and casual fitness tracking

- A Forerunner 245 for running

- The Instinct Solar for hiking and other outdoors activities

I suppose this is exactly the line of reasoning of Garmin's marketing :-) Another option is to get a Fenix 6s Pro Solar to have everything. Depending on size, it can cost as much as all three above combined. It still would not have the mechanical hands, though.

• I had a Vivomove HR too  before the Style. I got that new, in fact I preordered it and wait for a couple of months before it was shipped, as I snatched shorty after it came out. I really like watches with mechanical hands, not simulated on a screen.

The Vivomove HR did not give me any troubles for the two and half year I had it, although it went through several FW updates as well. Only once, for freak reasons and just at random not after a FW update, it got stuck with the display on and unresponsive. I let the battery die, recharged it and never had any issues again.

Before I got the Style I was seriously considering the Fossil HR Collider, in particular the Smoke Stainless Steel model. Very good looking smart watch. If Garmin had something similar, with a chronograph-style look but with the behind-the-hands color screen as in the Style instead of the black and white screen as the Fossil, it would be terrific.

The Instinct Solar is really cool, like a Casio G-Shock on steroids in term of features. With the exception of VO2 Max............

As it stands, in my case I would "need" three watches:

- The Style for looks and casual fitness tracking

- A Forerunner 245 for running

- The Instinct Solar for hiking and other outdoors activities

I suppose this is exactly the line of reasoning of Garmin's marketing :-) Another option is to get a Fenix 6s Pro Solar to have everything. Depending on size, it can cost as much as all three above combined. It still would not have the mechanical hands, though.

• I had a nice chat with Garmin Support earlier (Cheryl). She told me there was already another case about this, perhaps one of you posting in this thread. I gave her permission to look at the data in my account and gave her the dates of the three runs post-update for which VO2 Max was not measured. She also followed up with an email with instructions on how to email back to Support the Garmin folder in the watch. I will do that later today after work. Hopefully they will figure this out in short order.

She also said that it is normal it can take less than 15 minutes for the watch to measure VO2 Max, when you force a manual measurement from the watch. It depends on the individual's heart rate. No problem with that, at least it works!

• Hi there! I just want to personally apologize, I am not sure how we both missed this! I am happy to hear Cheryl took great care of you! I will get in contact with her and if we need any other data we will be in touch and once there is an update we can also update this thread. Again, I am so sorry this was missed! In the future please feel free to tag me for a 2nd time if I have not answered within 24hours of your question!

• Hello Amber, thanks for acknowledging our plea for help :-) I believe that with the data I provided to Cheryl and the additional information from other users in this thread, your engineers should have enough to troubleshoot the issue. 

I will be glad to provide any other data that may be helpful. Our watches were working just fine before the software update 3.90, obviously the update had some side effects that impacted the VO2 Max measurement or calculation. 

• Sure thing! I can reach back out here or through DM if we need anything else or once I see an update provided! Thank you for being patient! 

•  Amber, today I run again and as expected no update to VO2 Max in the "color wheel" and no data point added to the graphs on today's date. 

I sent a reminder to [email protected] this afternoon to see if Cheryl or whoever is managing that inbox had an update. I haven't heard from her or anyone else since I emailed my watch "Garmin" folder.

FYI, when I went out for a walk last week, the first time after my second watch reset (the one when I also wiped all stored data), there was no VO2 Max value stored in the watch and the calories screen had the little "i" icon, which when tapped displayed a notification that I had to walk for 15 minutes to get a more accurate calories reading. I did that and it also updated the VO2 Max value in the watch and on the graphs in the app, but NOT in the color wheel screen, where instead both the VO2 Max value and the fitness age are stuck on the number that it was last measured BEFORE the infamous 3.90 update.

Just an additional confirmation that for some strange reason the watch now only updates VO2 Max when manually forced.

•  Amber, today I run again and as expected no update to VO2 Max in the "color wheel" and no data point added to the graphs on today's date. 

I sent a reminder to [email protected] this afternoon to see if Cheryl or whoever is managing that inbox had an update. I haven't heard from her or anyone else since I emailed my watch "Garmin" folder.

FYI, when I went out for a walk last week, the first time after my second watch reset (the one when I also wiped all stored data), there was no VO2 Max value stored in the watch and the calories screen had the little "i" icon, which when tapped displayed a notification that I had to walk for 15 minutes to get a more accurate calories reading. I did that and it also updated the VO2 Max value in the watch and on the graphs in the app, but NOT in the color wheel screen, where instead both the VO2 Max value and the fitness age are stuck on the number that it was last measured BEFORE the infamous 3.90 update.

Just an additional confirmation that for some strange reason the watch now only updates VO2 Max when manually forced.

• Just got a reply from Cheryl again, from Support. She has escalated the case to engineering. No time frame for resolution yet. Crossing fingers...

I am afraid that for the time being we'll have to force manually a VO2 Max update, although that takes into account only few minutes of run/walk time.

I wish we could roll back the FW. Frankly I could have done without the "improvements" in 3.90, the watch was working just fine in my case.

• Hey there! I went in and double checked for any updates and I can confirm this has been escalated. I apologize this is happening! I hope for a quick update and we certainly appreciate your patience!