This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Digital part of face is not lighting up

Hey everyone,

The digital part of my watch face is no longer lighting up for almost a month. The digital part still works because it vibrates when I tap or swipe, but it is not lighting up. I know I do not have it on low brightness because I have checked it in the dark multiple times. I have been having this problem since I got orange notification boxes on my app telling me Garmin was having problems and was trying to fix them. Today, the hands on the watch have gotten so off of the actual time that I can no longer use the watch without calibrating it. Does anyone know how to fix this? I bought it off of Amazon 2 years ago and have really loved it, but now I can't even use it as a regular watch anymore. I thought it would fix itself after Garmin resolved it's issues, but I no longer have orange notification boxes and my watch is still broken Disappointed

• Hello! I sent you an email!

• Me, too. My watch lasted for 2,5 years, costing 120 EUR per year.

I enjoyed using it, but now it is just a Mickey Mouse Souvenir watch.

• I am sorry to hear this has happened. I can put you in touch with your local support if you tell me where you are located. 

• I'm experiencing the same issues as described above. Display is hardly visible in normal light, only in a very dark environment.

This only started a few days ago. The watch was bought in January 2020, in Belgium

• Hi there! I am sorry this has happened. Here is the contact information for Belgium. I encourage you to reach out to them so they can get this resolved. Belgium 02 / 663.78.0 Belgium 02 / 663.78.03

• Mine is doing exactly the same, and mine is also from Amazon years ago. Were you able to get yours fixed?

• This is also happening to me.  My watch is 2.5 years old and I noticed that the screen is going dim this week.   I'm in Australia.  Sounds like it isn't worth bothering with trying to get a replacement as it sounds like they aren't actually fixing the issue for anyone just suggesting they buy a new one. 

• Amber.  This is happening to me and I am I the US.  Can you help?

• It is pretty disappointing, for so many people to have the same problem it does seem like a fault with the watch itself. I too was only offered to buy a new one at a "discounted price". But why would I when I have no faith that it wont just die in the same way again? 

• It is impossible to say if it is an issue with a "bad" batch of displays Garmin got from their supplier (thus affecting the unlucky among us that got a watch with one of them) or an overall issue with all of those displays that sooner or later will affect ALL of the Vivomove HR watches.

The display is not a LCD type (with a backlight) it is a OLED display, which illuminates only the required pixels, thus consuming much less power than a traditional display. Great technology, but it can have a limited lifespan. Only Garmin know how widespread is this issue and if the more recent production units are affected as well. 

To me it happened after about 2 and one half year and the display went from having the top left corner dimming to completely dead in just few weeks. Being the watch already relatively old, I decided to use the discount to get a Vivomove Style instead. 

Besides having a different king of display (color AMOLED instead of monochromatic OLED) it has also other interesting features, like connected GPS, newer sensors, aluminum case and more metrics for health and performance. 

We'll see how the color display holds up. I have had mine for 11 months now, so far so good.