This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Vivomove HR 'GPS Connect' not showing map on run

Before buying the VivoMove HR I was led to believe that the device uses something called 'GPS Connect' which uses your phones GPS location to track activities as the watch does not have GPS built in. Like almost every other tracker on the market, when the watch doesn't have GPS it uses the Phone.

HOWEVER, with the Vivomove HR, it seems that a commercially decision has been made to restrict the watch / app from using the phones GPS to track your activity. This is extremely disappointing as the app preview shows a Map in the Play/Apple store without any disclaimers. 

Even messaging your support staff, they believe 'GPS Connect' should work.

Garmin, This is the kind of stuff that annoys people not builds trust or faith in a brand. It would take minimal effort to fix this yet looking through the forums, you cannot get it right for watches with GPS so I wont be holding my breath. I may need to go buy a FitBit for running and this for general wear.

Image on Play Store

Disclaimer about Compatible devices

Once paired with a compatible(1) Garmin device, activity tracking is just the beginning of what Garmin ConnectTm can do for you. You can create new workouts, build courses and even challenge your friends to compete, all within the app.

(1) See compatible devices at Garmin.com/BLE

Android Requirements

• 6.0 Operating System or later
    • Android version 6.0, (Android Marshmallow) was released in October 2015.  Most devices manufactured after this date will meet this requirement.

• My 2 cents: this is a software limitation, not a hardware limitation as Garmin wants to sell newer devices like Vivomove 3 and Vivomove Sport.

Considering the digital display fiasco it would be nice to enable Connected GPS  on HR devices. 

• I do like the traditional Vivomove design and, even with the battery runs out for the digital stuff, the clock (hands) still work fine.

I also much prefer wearing a watch like the Vivomove to work, rather than the more chunky advanced ones.  I guess it depends on your line of work.

garman should really consider introducing built-in gps in future models.