This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Vivomove HR 'GPS Connect' not showing map on run

Before buying the VivoMove HR I was led to believe that the device uses something called 'GPS Connect' which uses your phones GPS location to track activities as the watch does not have GPS built in. Like almost every other tracker on the market, when the watch doesn't have GPS it uses the Phone.

HOWEVER, with the Vivomove HR, it seems that a commercially decision has been made to restrict the watch / app from using the phones GPS to track your activity. This is extremely disappointing as the app preview shows a Map in the Play/Apple store without any disclaimers. 

Even messaging your support staff, they believe 'GPS Connect' should work.

Garmin, This is the kind of stuff that annoys people not builds trust or faith in a brand. It would take minimal effort to fix this yet looking through the forums, you cannot get it right for watches with GPS so I wont be holding my breath. I may need to go buy a FitBit for running and this for general wear.

Image on Play Store

Disclaimer about Compatible devices

Once paired with a compatible(1) Garmin device, activity tracking is just the beginning of what Garmin ConnectTm can do for you. You can create new workouts, build courses and even challenge your friends to compete, all within the app.

(1) See compatible devices at Garmin.com/BLE

Android Requirements

• 6.0 Operating System or later
    • Android version 6.0, (Android Marshmallow) was released in October 2015.  Most devices manufactured after this date will meet this requirement.

• This Ok hand seriously come on!

• It's been 9 months, they are not going to fix it. I returned mine for one with GPS which is better. However the usability and battery are not impressive at all. Very disappointed.

• It's been 9 months, they are not going to fix it. I returned mine for one with GPS which is better. However the usability and battery are not impressive at all. Very disappointed.

HI there. This device was not designed to have the GPS feature. There are no future plans as of now that I am aware of to have it added. I am sorry for this frustration. 

• How very 'Garmin' this reply is. Did you miss the thread and just blindly reply? The watch SHOULD use the phone GPS as advertised. If it was never meant to have this feature, then why advertise it does. 
  • How very 'Garmin' this reply is. Did you miss the thread and just blindly reply? The watch SHOULD use the phone GPS as advertised. If it was never meant to have this feature, then why advertise it does. 

Hi Mike! I am sorry you felt my reply was not what you wanted to hear. I simply wanted to be honest with the fact that as of right now there are no plans for that feature. I am sorry this device doesn't support it. As we make product advancements and introduce new features, older devices may not be able to support the new features.

If you have seen somewhere, any advertisements indicating the vivomove hr uses GPS from the phone, we would like to know immediately so we can address it.

However, Our new vivomove 3 series devices do have the ability to connect to the GPS from the phone. Here is an article with the devices that do support the GPS with the use of a phone Using the Connected GPS Feature With a Garmin Watch

If you wouldn't mind sending me the advertisement regarding the vivomove hr, I can make my team aware of it so we can get it resolved. If there is anything else I can help with, please feel free to reach out. 

• I was told by a Garmin customer service rep that this watch used the GPS on my phone to be more accurate. I was also told 10 days ago that a manager would be in touch to allow me to make a formal complaint about the poor level of service I received and that hasn't happened either...

• I do not know from where you all got the idea that the Vivomove HR had Connected GPS.

I got mine shortly after it was released a few years ago and it was very clear to me reading the specs on Garmin's website that it did NOT have Connected GPS.

This feature is present in the Vivomove 3 and Vivomove Style/Luxe, but not the Vivomove HR. That can be seen comparing the list of features under the "Daily Smart Features" spec section of each watch.

Garmin is free to put whatever feature they like in their watches, just like we are free to buy or not from them.

As of now they offer plenty of choices for hybrid smartwatches (those with mechanical hands and display)

- Vivomove HR, monochromatic single display, NO Connected GPS

- Vivomove 3/3s, monochromatic single display WITH Connected GPS

- Vivomove Style/Luxe, color dual display WITH Connected GPS

If a Garmin rep said the Vivomove HR has connected GPS it was a mistake or misunderstanding. That is on Garmin, they should train better their customer service people.

• Cool story and totally agree. But when I bought mine it said GPS Connect hence the post and Garmin taking it back.

• I am sincerely sorry a rep may have mistakenly told you the device worked with GPS as that is not the case and is not listed on our Specs for this device. I also would like to extend my apologies for your frustration. I am going to follow up with a supervisor here in the US so we can see if we can get a supervisor in Europe to reach out to you immediately! 

• The first device we offered the GPS from the phone compatibility was with our vivosmart 4 device and that was on the market after our vivomove hr. Our vivomove hr does not and has not been capable to have this feature. I am sorry for any confusion and if this information is listed somewhere we would want to know immediately.