This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Vo2

I'd like to improve my VO2 reading. I'm selecting the walking man image and then tap2x, I've read I need to walk for 15 minutes before tapping again but does it matter if i walk for 45 minutes?

I ask because my VO2 reading isn't changing so I'd like to know what influences this reading?
  • First, you have to get your age, sex and weight inputted into the device correctly. Then at least in my case what helped:

- loose weight

- walks at a faster pace every day without loosing your breath

You will see V02 improved at the end of 2-3 weeks I will say. In short your aerobic performance will matter.

Read more here: www.wareable.com/.../vo2-max-guide-understand-and-increase-789

• First. Sorry for my spelling. English isn't my native language. 

Me and my mom are having strange vo2max readings on our garmin devices.

Have set age, weigh, and max pulse value. We both have much higher max pulse then what the norm is.

She's about 75 and have over 160 bpm as max.

I'm 39 and have about 200 bpm as max.

She's walking about 3 k every day, the same route. and at around 9-10 minute/kilometer pace. Pulse readings are around 130 bpm, and she doesn't feel that it's as much work now, as it was a year ago. But still the vo2 readings are getting worse for her.

I started trying to learn how to run a year ago.

I couldn't run or jog for one minute continually! Not even if I set the pace at 8-9 minutes/kilometer. I wouldn't last more than minute. And my pulse was steady at 190-195. My vo2 score was around 40.

Now a year later I'm doing 5 kilometers without any walking, at 7-8 minute/kilometer pace. With an average pulse of 170 bpm. And my vo2 score have dropped to 34 and its dropping more and more..

If someone improves both in speed, distance, and have a lower pulse, wouldn't that indicate that the vo2 should improve?

I have no doubt that my vo2 score have improved over this year. Since I couldn't even jog for a minute when I started. And now I do 5 kilometers and feel kind of okay. 

Feels like something in the algorithm is really strange.. 

• Hi Darsell, nice to see your improvement.  Some points to take into account:

Improving your running style (economy) ist not automatically improve your fitness level. According firstbeat https://assets.firstbeat.com/firstbeat/uploads/2017/06/white_paper_VO2max_30.6.2017.pdf

running 9 km/h (pace 6,7) require only vo2max 31 ml/kg/min.

If you will improve your fitness level you need training right - e.g. https://fellrnr.com/wiki/Supercompensation

:)

• Check to make sure Garmin connect app on your phone has permission to access calendar. I turned it off accidentally on my phone and VO2 Max was not recorded.