This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Heart Rate measurements wrong during activity

Hi,

I've noticed, that the HR measurements are sometimes completely wrong, see also below.
It's showing an average of 56 or 59, but I know that is wrong. My bicycle ergometer was showing HR of 70-80 (I am doing very mild traning these days).
I was using "other" activity.
It's not happening always, I had occasions, where the HR appeared to be correct.

Have other people observed the same ?

Regards,
Willi

• Good day. My heartrate on my vivomove hr is all of a sudden incorrect. Its work perfectly and now is giving me averages of 130 when I do sprints (definitely wrong) :( any idee what the problem is.
  • There are many different variables that can affect the accuracy of the optical heart rate monitor. I have provided the link below on how to make improvements to get a better reading:
    https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=xQwjQjzUew4BF1GYcusE59&productID=583562&tab=topics&topicTag=region_heartrate

If you have already tried these suggestions, I recommend you contact your local product support. This is allow us to collect specific information from your device and gather more details on the activity that is being performed.
  • Hello,

I just got my Vivomove HR last saturday, and I also noticed that during some "intensive and short" activities (climbing stairs for example), the heart rate monitor would show a high ("145 bpm") value for a short while, and then after a few seconds will settle down.

Those "peaks" are not registered on the web interface, and in the app (the "max" value shown there is "121 bpm" which is a lot more "acceptable").
  • Unfortunately, I can see now how wrong these measurement have been over the years of having vivosmart HR
    I have now a new device and quite often there is discrepancy between that one and vivosmart-HR.
    Even during no activity vivosmart-HR is most of the time wrong.
    New device shows HR54, vivsomart: HR78
    Typically the ratio between good HR and wrong HR of vivosmart-HR is 2:3 or 4:5.

Note I double checked my actual pulse with traditional 'finger method' and reading with smartphone apps using camera
    (that show blood flow to visually check the measurement's sanity) and it is pretty clear which one is wrong.

Iv'e always suspected something is off there, but did not expect that the off bit is most of the time.
  • Each activity type has a slightly different algorithm. You may want to try other types to see what works best if you're using it for activities that are not one of the ones on the watch.
  • During the race (10km) my heart data were on spot all the time, with exception of 4minutes, when the data are completely wrong. Is there a way to correct it in Garmin Connect?

• Did you ever figure out how to stop that? I just bought a Garmin this week and it’s doing the same thing. Very frustrating and thinking about returning it. 

• I have exactly the same problem. 

• my heart rate sometimes shows 40-50 while it’s actually 120 (measured on another monitor)

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 3 years ago

I find mine has done the same thing. When exercising intense cardio I should be 120-130 but the last two months it hoovers around 79-89 way way off what it should be. I have changed nothing, I keep the watch tight, updated, and clean, very disappointed.