This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sleep tracking incorrect

Hi,

I have noticed a few issues around sleep tracking:
1) It does not track, if you sleep outside the defined time, e.g. if you take a nap in the afternoon
2) I do not always trust, what was tracked, especially if you are awake during the night, but stay in bed. This is not always tracked. Do other people observe the same ?
3) This morning I observed a clear bug. I checked in the early morning and was told I slept 7h, which appeared to be correct. Then I went into bed again, did some reading and slept maybe another hour. Afterwards the tracking was adjusted to just 5h sleep for the whole night. This is certainly a bug.

I would say, sleep tracking is not totally wrong, but should certainly be optimized.
What do other people observe ?

regards,
Willi
  • I noticed last night that it did not catch me being awake about 30 minutes half way through the night. It did catch me getting up for a few minutes though.

I had a Fitbit before this and noticed the same thing generally, so I don't put much faith in the trackers overall for preciseness. But on the whole if it makes the same mistakes, I trust that I'll notice a pattern if my sleep gets better/worse, which is really what I am after. The only really decent sleep tracker I've had so far was my old Jawbone.
  • No Garmins track naps during the day - "it's not in their programming".

Garmins do however tend to be roughly correct as to "getting up to pee" during the night, but misses sometimes. Awake sessions during the nigth, like having a cup of tea and an half hour out of bed tends to generally confuse things. Falling asleep and wake times are mostly pretty accurate, but sometimes off. Basically, sleep tracking is not super accurate. Then again, how can it be with only hearth rate and accelerometer to go by? This is not data enough to precisely judge what is deep and ligth sleep for instance.

Bottom line, sleep tracking is nice to have, just don't take it too seriously ;)
  • I paid $400+ for my Fenix and this used to work, so don't agree its a nice to have. We all just want it fixed...
  • Falken,

I think there is only 1 algorithm for sleep tracking as far as I know.
    Considering my VA and VF don't have built-in HRMs and feed sleep tracking, I doubt that sleep calculations actually take heart rate into consideration.
  • Sleep is miles off. Last night went to bed at 11:30pm, my Vivomove hr said I went to bed at 9:51pm and woke at 6:38am, but I woke up at 6:30am, my ionic was very accurate, but Garmin watches cannot track sleep properly.

i often have to edit sleep times, its annoying
  • Sleep is miles off. Last night went to bed at 11:30pm, my Vivomove hr said I went to bed at 9:51pm and woke at 6:38am, but I woke up at 6:30am, my ionic was very accurate, but Garmin watches cannot track sleep properly.

i often have to edit sleep times, its annoying

I have the same issue with my Fenix 5x . Always saying I sleep 9-10 hours when reality is more 7h....my Samsung Frontier was way better on that.
    ??????
    Any solution?
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago

Hi

My Vivo Mowe Hr also dont register if im awake during the night and dont get up. My old Polar Flow registrer this quit precise, so i have started to sleep with that one instead.  I have also exsperinced that if i get up early morning and go back to bed it does not add this sleep.

Regards Karen

• Yea I've had same issue where if I don't sleep at regular times and any sleep isn't counted. I have also had it where I am awake and actively moving about and it will say I am resting when i am awake. The sleeping tracking is no good it has been very disappointing