This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Why does Garmin Vivofit Jr. 3 require an Internet Connection

The Garmin Vivofit Jr. 3 of my son works fine and also synchronizes with my Smartphone. However, during our last holiday abroad it would not sync any more with the Smartphone since we did not have Internet. There was a "Network Error" displayed in the Garmin App.

As I understand the Watch - Smartphone connection is via Bluetooth. Why does the Garmin App need an internet connection to simply to synchronize data between the Watch and the App? Wouldn't it be wise to program the App so that it can also synchronize to the watch without Internet Connection?

The only reason why the App needs an internet connection is possibly to send usage data to Garmin, right? Would it be possible to program it in a way so that usage data is sent when internet is available but syhcnronization with the watch can always happen?

Just an idea for your next App update ... (user friendliness is key, and including those users without permanent Internet Access would be nice)

Sincerely,

Reto

• I guess you need internet connection on the phone because when sync with Garmin Connect Apps, the data is stored in Garmin's server data, that's why you can download the tcx/gpx file (like my Fenix 6) from workout/activity.

• I absolutely understand that (and also the wish of Garmin to store and use our personal data on their servers, which is common practice nowadays).

What I do not understand is why the synchronization with the Garmin servers can't be asynchronous (it syncs once the internet connection becomse available). This would allow for e.g. to set the alarm clock or set a new daily challenge of the Vivofit Jr3 out in the woods where no internet is available. Why would you build an outdoor watch which can only be controlled in urban areas?

Reto

• I can feel your frustation.  I do not have Vivofit Jr. 3.

But my Fenix 6 watch save my running data in the watch, usually i turn off bluetooth and WIFI to save battery.  Once i turn on bluetooth, it will sync to Garmin Connect.  I believe Vivofit Jr.3 should act the same.  

One thing to note, the internal storage of Vivofit Jr.3 is limited, it is recommended to sync into Garmin Connect (your personal account data) cloud server, otherwise your previous old activities will be overwritten