This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Default Max HR

I just checked my vivoactive 4 profile settings, and realized that the default heart rate is placed at 255?
Is this normal? I have clocked about 80 km in runs so far using this watch. 

It seems like the watch doesn't change the default Max HR?

Also my HR zone % seems really weird as well:

1 - 36-44%, 2 - 44-51%, 3 - 51-58%, 4 - 58-65%, 5 - 65-73%

Is this normal? Will changing the Max HR affect my VO2max calculations?

• Your heart rate zones are not so weird when the max heartrate is 255. It would be better to enter a realistic max heart rate, and adjust the zones accordingly. I don't think the watch will change the max value. That is up to the user to measure/estimate. 

I recommend these zones: 1 - 60-72%, 2 - 72-82%, 3 - 82-87%, 4 - 87-92%, 5 - 92-97%.

If you have no clue what your maximum heartrate is, enter 220 minus your age. But you should do a test to see what it really is, because it can be very different between people.

• any idea why is the original max heart rate even that high? Does that mean that my VO2 calculations has been completely wrong all these while? 

• It is possible that it affects the VO2Max calculations. The algorithms and formulas used by Garmin is not public information, so it is difficult to know for sure. Anyway, it is best to have all parameters as correct as possible. 

255 is the maximum possible value for a 8 bit storage, so it probably just means that the value has not been set yet.

• If you reset it in the menu, in the Connect application you will  get the general public values based on your age. No secret calculations...